Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

pic of my new deerstand

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pic of my new deerstand

well for a chair in there i got a seat out of a semi truck and put it on a swivle so i got armrests and it can recline back in case i feel lazy or want to take a quick 5 min siesta before sunrise. and it shouldn't be lound in there cause we have a whole bunch of stirofoam just laying around here so i appoxied it to the inside of the stand. the legs are actually from racking my sisters bf got a whole bunch of racks like they use in factories and they are the cross members so he gave me them. the 2x4's i got from work for free we get in special pallets with nice straigh 2x4's in them so i took them home and took them apart and got all that lumber. the tin i used on the sides are what i get from work for free i got about 1000 sheets of it but they are about 18 inches wide and 5' 10" high. the roof tin i got from work it was just scratched a lil bit same with the trim that goes around the roof. i got rafters on each side that were scratched got them free from work. the iron i used for the cross braces i traded a guy some of that free tin i get from work for that. the iron for my stepladder i also traded another guy that tin for. the windows and the stirofoam we had laying around the farm. the planks on the floor dad got free from where he used to work they tore down a turkey barn and they are about 14 inches wide and about 2.5 inches thick. the door is actually a scratched pump cover from work so i got that for free. the things that were the most expensive were the 4 t-posts that i used for anchoring it and the angle iron i used for going around the base it was 40 dollars for the angle iron. oh and i used 4 disk blades that we had laying around i put under the legs so it won't settle as bad. as for the windows they just open up to the inside and i got a latch to hook the one and i gotta rig up a tarp strap this weekend on the other one. and you got some nice stands there to okie dude it is nice to have something comfy to settle into specially when deerseason here can be so unpredictable can get 4 inches of rain or 12 inches of snow. opening morning a couple years ago it was -17 then 3 years ago i think it was 65 outside. oh and thanx for the compliments guys.

Old 10-18-2005, 11:09 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal on that stand! We also build our own. My dad is an excavator, and he does work for new homes. It is amazing what these people throw away in the dumpsters because they are left over or not of any use. We built that deer stand, and my dad built a 30x40 building for only 100 bucks! I forget what he had to buy, I think it might have only been nails.

Old 10-18-2005, 03:00 PM
Trailblazer

ok no offense to anyone...but do you guys just sit in a treestand all day and wait for the deer to walk by? seems to me that it would make for a boring hunt. i gotta get out and walk and hike through the canyons and on top of the ridges for the hunt to be fun for me. it just wouldn't seem like a hunt if the deer came to me! just my opinion and no offense to anyone.

Old 10-18-2005, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider

Someone(well more than one) once told me that the best way to kill a deer is to sit there the whole day. I know towards the end of the season when stuff stops moving it is neccessary to have someone move stuff to you, or you move stuff yourself. But for those first couple hunts Sitting there is your best bet. At least where I come from it is. THis is just my oppinion though.

Old 10-18-2005, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

That's a good idea with the styrofome, i never would have thought of that. Sounds like you'll be pretty comfortable this season. Good luck too ya!

Old 10-18-2005, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: BloodyRomance
ok no offense to anyone...but do you guys just sit in a treestand all day and wait for the deer to walk by? seems to me that it would make for a boring hunt. i gotta get out and walk and hike through the canyons and on top of the ridges for the hunt to be fun for me. it just wouldn't seem like a hunt if the deer came to me! just my opinion and no offense to anyone.
No offense taken. Yes...we do spend all day in a stand...thats why we make them as comfortable as possible. In this part of Oklahoma, we have dense woods. We cant see for long distances so that we could stalk. Some people do walk trying to scare them up, but thats just not us. We have better luck trying to strategically place a stand and let the deer naturally come to us, than to try to stalk them on foot.....sometimes it works, sometimes not. I really enjoy sitting in a stand and watching nature(might sound stupid, but who cares). Hope I answered your question some.

Old 10-18-2005, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

different area's require different techniques for hunting deer. sometimes just for fun i walk around the woods to see what i can scare up and i have stumbled across some big bucks but the woods are so thick around here that it is pretty hard to get a decent shot. to me my favorite hunting is to walk to the center of the woods and just sit up against a tree in a high activity area, i have had deer get pretty close to me that way. but one thing with sitting in the deerstand i absolutely love is that you are sitting there all quiet and you look away for a second and then boom there is a deer out in the middle of the opening, that will get your heart pumping fast and the adrenaline pumping even if it is a lil fawn. last year i put out deer cocaine and well nothing came in but i went and looked at it last weekend and there is about a 4 square foot area ripped up and about 4 inches deep so you can get them to come to certain area's but don't get me wrong i have it out at about 180 yards and the deer usually come out about 100 yards from my stand and it is by willows. it is just there basically cause they crave the salt and it cures that craving year round. but i think one thing we can all agree on is that deer hunting is a very relaxing sport and whatever your technique is it sure beats the hell out of going to work. oh and no offense taken here either.

Old 10-18-2005, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

oh and on a seperate note i just spend another 150 dollars on my deerstand. i am replacing my sunflower heater and figure beings i put up my deerstand for next to nothing i bought a wall mount heater i think minumum is like 8000 btu's medium is 11,000 and maximum is 25,000 btu's so that should keep my skinny butt warm no matter how cold it is, but i will be mad if it is warm this deer season and i can't use it.

Old 10-18-2005, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: weez440
different area's require different techniques for hunting deer. sometimes just for fun i walk around the woods to see what i can scare up and i have stumbled across some big bucks but the woods are so thick around here that it is pretty hard to get a decent shot. to me my favorite hunting is to walk to the center of the woods and just sit up against a tree in a high activity area, i have had deer get pretty close to me that way. but one thing with sitting in the deerstand i absolutely love is that you are sitting there all quiet and you look away for a second and then boom there is a deer out in the middle of the opening, that will get your heart pumping fast and the adrenaline pumping even if it is a lil fawn. last year i put out deer cocaine and well nothing came in but i went and looked at it last weekend and there is about a 4 square foot area ripped up and about 4 inches deep so you can get them to come to certain area's but don't get me wrong i have it out at about 180 yards and the deer usually come out about 100 yards from my stand and it is by willows. it is just there basically cause they crave the salt and it cures that craving year round. but i think one thing we can all agree on is that deer hunting is a very relaxing sport and whatever your technique is it sure beats the hell out of going to work. oh and no offense taken here either.
agreed. Different areas do take different techniques. Oh and no offence was taken here either. I think alot of it has to do with the hunter too, and their prefference on hunting. That is one neat thing about hunting, everyone has something they do that is probably unique, and can get passed down. Hunting is another reason why hunting is such a great sport.

Old 10-19-2005, 03:33 AM
Trailblazer

ahhhh i see now...i forget sometimes that the forests back east are that dense. because out where i hunt i can get up on a little hill and am able to see anything that moves for miles. the pine forests are pretty thick tho and i can walk around and jump some and then hear them running, and so i take off running and catch glimpses of them darting through the forest. its adrenaline rush at its best right there. wildfires have burned up alot of forest were im hunting this year tho...so theres lots of green grass and its much easier to see a long ways.

Quick Reply: pic of my new deerstand