Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Archery Guys

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 07:59 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Archery Guys

Well, where I come from, and also the area that I hunt we have allot of problems when rifle season comes around. Poaching, tresspassing, spotlighting, things of that nature, its kinda funny how these things only happen during rifle season. We have no problems whatsoever during archery. Ok, I will admit that I should have kept the comment on the "real hunters" to myself. But that is just how I feel and that is my own personal opinion. I'm entitled to that right? I also metioned in my first post that I hunt with a rifle, so was I calling my self a non-real hunter? I guess my first post should have been simply "So who on here hunts with a bow."

Old 12-20-2005, 11:25 PM
Trailblazer
Default Archery Guys

Originally posted by: CaptainQuint

The holier than thou archery guys who park their asses in a 30 ft deer stand above a deer trail and proclaim how much more of "real" hunter they are than the guy with a rifle who actually walks through the woods or god forbid takes a shot over 20 yards away.

I mean it isn't exactly difficult to kill a deer at 10 or 20 yards with compound bow especially when you are 20 ft. up a tree, wearing activated charcoal clothing and dousing everything around you with deer urine and cover scents. Killing a deer at 400 yards with a rifle is no easy task even with a high powered scope.

Which one makes you the "real" hunter? Having done both I'd say judging the wind and bullet drop at 400 yards is far more difficult than shooting the deer with a bow at 20 yards.
First of all about your ambition issue, do you honestly think archery hunters don't put on as many miles as gun hunters. How do you think archers find the perfect runway to hunt? They spend hours walking around scouting looking for a runway and determining how to hunt it. Then they hunt it when they can get to the stand undetected. You make it sound like intercepting a deer within 20 yards is easy. Not everyone can do it.

Second, when bow hunting the main focus is intercepting deer from learning their patterns and staying undetected. The main point of gun hunting is stalking deer and not having to worry about being dettected at 400 yards. Sure shooting a deer at 400yards is hard but getting a deer at 20 yards is just as hard.

Finaly, imo the real hunter is the one who goes out in the woods to relax and enjoy mother nature and the real hunter is the one who would rather have good times with their family and friends at thier deer camp, rather than just worrying about shooting a deer.

Old 12-27-2005, 05:40 AM
Pro Rider
Default Archery Guys

I hunt with marshmallows and a ball pien hammer. The hardest part is avoiding the park wardens.

Old 12-31-2005, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default Archery Guys

Do you use the big puffy marshmallows or the really small ones?

Old 01-03-2006, 04:25 AM
Pro Rider
Default Archery Guys

The little small ones are better because it takes longer for then to grab them with their lips. Gives you a little more time to get a good swing in.

If you want to be a "Real Hunter" try this trick on park bear.

Old 01-06-2006, 10:05 AM
Pro Rider
Default Archery Guys

I shoot with a PSE Thunderbolt, Easton ACC 361 arrows and Wasp Jak-Hammer mechanical broadheads. I have the Bow set at 65lbs and the arrow speed is 276 fps. I also rifle hunt with a 30-06 and I love doing both.

On the long rifle shot vs bow shot both are difficult in different ways. for the Archery guy the deer has a lot better chance of detecting you from 20 or 30 yards then at 200-400 yards even if you are 30 ft up in a tree. Does that mean it is easier to shoot a deer at 400 yards? No. It takes a lot of practice to be able to judge windage and such to make a shot that long. Heck with no wind it is a difficult task at best, I know I couldn't make it. Both hunters have to spend many hours to accomplish what they set out to do. I think both the hunts would be difficult, but I do believe the animal has a better chance of sensing you at 20-30 yards and in my personal opinion that is more my idea of fair chase. I am not saying it is wrong to make long shots, it just is not for me. I can make a 50 yard shot with my bow no problem,but I won't for the simple reason to many things can go wrong and wound the animal. A 400 yard shot with a rifle has the same drawbacks and all the practice in the world can't eliminate them.

Old 01-07-2006, 12:30 PM
Range Rover
Default Archery Guys

I currently shoot prostaff for Mathews, G-bow hunting solutions, Trophy Taker, Nikon, Cobra sights, Gold Tip arrows, Wac'em broadheads, Trueball releases, and Scheels All Sports.

I'm shooting the Switchback with a 28" draw at 66#'s. Gold Tip pro hunters tipped with Wac'em broadheads. Too many others to list.

Old 01-09-2006, 02:52 PM
Range Rover
Default Archery Guys

2002 mt sport 50-60#[hoyt], single cam,bodoodle 3 point rest[holds arrow ,took awhile to get used to] ,trophy ridge flatliner W/ hindsite[5 pin],doinker stabilizer, carbons w/85 gr rockys. just another excuse to get out..... as far as 200 yd shots on deer, thats an accomplishment under the right conditions. being a bow hunter doesnt mean your "more" ,of a hunter,just a different kind, a large portion of the bow hunters ive seen think sitting in a tree stand , with a 1000 dollar compound over bait is hunting, debatable..... best true hunter ive ever encountered was a rifle hunter[best tracker and had that sense of were to be at the right time, very instinctual] a lot of that "hunting slob" mentality thats been mentioned is,in my opinion the result of poor hunting etiquette, a result of not being taught properly[another example of bad parenting,a major problem nowadays] seen a lot of "archers", that probably should have stayed home ........

Old 01-11-2006, 12:42 AM
Range Rover
Default Archery Guys

Used to hunt with a Bear Sonic XLR, from the early 1990's era. I've taken a few bull elk with it but I decided to update to more recent technology. Yesterday I bought a 2005 Hoyt Ultra Tec. First bow I've shot with a release. The tranistion from fingers to release isn't going to bad. Damn, I could hardly believe what some of the accessories cost. Bow will be used for elk and maybe bear. Bear season starts in a little over three months!