Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

MN deer opener (rifle)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2000, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've usually have had great years prior to this one. I doubt we did anything wrong. It just was not in the cards this year.

Since you have so much meat perhaps you'd share?

Old 11-07-2000, 08:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

I actually don't hunt. I married a vegitarian. It took me a year to talk her into letting people hunt on our land. She now understands a little more about the need to thin the deer herd, we went the whole summer as a deer 'farm' it seems. The amount was insane, I've never it like this before. I'm hoping that we get a hard winter, but not to hard, so nature can thin the herd a little more. I don't think that even the hunters can thin the herd sufficiantly.
As for sharing meat, I'm hoping that some of the parties that came through here will remember I'm a meat eater and share with me. I tried the vegie thing way back when I first met my wife, I made it a whole week. It was not fun, I don't know how she does it.
And you are right tho, no matter how thick the deer are, there is still a bit of luck involved. As long as you had a fun and safe hunt, it was worthwhile.

Old 11-07-2000, 09:38 AM
Pro Rider

Season starts this Saturday for us. I just hope it isn't as cold and windy as it is now. The temp isn't so bad, but the 35 mph winds bring the wind chill down to under 10 degrees. We have had record numbers of deer crawling all over the place this year. I think it is because of the mild winter & spring this last year. Then things started drying out and we had the blasted things searching for anything green, which usually meant my cornfields, as they are irrigated. To make matters worse(?) there were several outbreaks of blue tongue, which killed a bunch off, after they had been eating my corn all summer, but before season. I think there are plenty left, though. Good luck everybody & wish me some, as I will likely need it. At least I don't have to worry about shooting anybody as I will be on my Dad's land so anyone not in my party will be a tresspasser anyway (hehe). Seriously, though I would rather pass up the shot of a lifetime rather than risk perforating someone else's truck. Happy hunting!