Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

building a trailor

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 10:10 AM
rv
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building a trailor

im sure some of you guys have built trailors for your quads i built one 15 years ago and it time to up grade i was thinking about using mt old axle and buying a plastic tub so have any of you floks seen a plastic tub that one could purchase alcanplastics builds a nice tub www.alcanplastics.com
any other ideas would be apreciated thanks in advance and lets see you handy work if you have built one recently

Old 01-18-2006, 01:35 PM
Trailblazer

Trailblazer...I have built a trailer for my quad....I will try and get a pic on here soon...it is built out of 1 1/4" steel tubing with a 2000# axle on it with atv tires. THe trailer is 4X6 with steel mesh welded on it...and a 2" ball hitch. I liked it so much I started building some to sell.

Old 01-20-2006, 02:44 PM
rv
Pro Rider

should i make it a tandum or single axle,who takes a trailor on long trips? some of you guys must have some ideas lets here them.i havnt went on a long trip with a trailor but i will in the near future.

Old 01-20-2006, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

we built a steel trailer for towing stumps and **** outta the bush without making a mess i got a pic of it on my other computer if you give me your email i can email you the pic we tow allmost anything with it, the axle is out of a old motorhome trailer and it just shortened i dont think that will ever snap[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 01-20-2006, 08:26 PM
Range Rover

If you are going to build your own I would highly you suggest you check out a "mountgoat" style trailer. I used their basic ideas to build a trailer last fall. Its tandem axle, with a walk beam, riding on ATV tires and rims( knockoffs that I picked up a CAT dealer for like 25% the cost of new) . I beleive the bed is 6ft long and I bult the trailer narrow enough so that it tracks in the same tracks as the ATV. Next I added a 2in ball for a hitch and had a local metal shop bend up some sheet metal which I then welded to form a cargo box. Check out the website for the general idea. The tandems make for a smooth ride and it literally floats over obstacles. http://www.mountaingoattrailers.com/ The only thing I will caution you about, if you build a similar trailer it can get a bit pricey as you need 4 tires/rims/hubs/axles etc as compared to a single axle trailer but IMHO its well worth the extra money if you are intended to use /abuse the trailer alot.

Old 01-21-2006, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: thud
If you are going to build your own I would highly you suggest you check out a "mountgoat" style trailer. I used their basic ideas to build a trailer last fall. Its tandem axle, with a walk beam, riding on ATV tires and rims( knockoffs that I picked up a CAT dealer for like 25% the cost of new) . I beleive the bed is 6ft long and I bult the trailer narrow enough so that it tracks in the same tracks as the ATV. Next I added a 2in ball for a hitch and had a local metal shop bend up some sheet metal which I then welded to form a cargo box. Check out the website for the general idea. The tandems make for a smooth ride and it literally floats over obstacles. http://www.mountaingoattrailers.com/ The only thing I will caution you about, if you build a similar trailer it can get a bit pricey as you need 4 tires/rims/hubs/axles etc as compared to a single axle trailer but IMHO its well worth the extra money if you are intended to use /abuse the trailer alot.
problem with trailers with dual axles is turning on grass you'll rip the grass up, you need a long turning radius and well your hopefully not going to be towing somthing so heavy behind your fourwheeler that you'd need a dual axle trailer

Old 01-21-2006, 01:28 PM
Range Rover

The tandems really help to carry weight when on soft ground and help to smooth out the ride over rough ground. You do have a point about tearing up the grass but I dont beleive that it would be an issue unless you are turning extremely tight and with a heavy load. In all honesty I dont think it would tear up the grass any worse then the ATV thats pullin the trailer. I do have to admit that a tandem will pull slightly harder around corners ,as you have to slide the axles to a point, but I think the positives of a tadem trailer far outweigh that of a single axle, but to each his own .

Trending Topics

Old 01-24-2006, 12:57 PM
Trailblazer

Trailblazer....I couldnt get these pics of my trailer on here.....if I could send these to someone who knows how to display pics that would probably be a better idea....if someone would send me thier e-mail address I can send you some pics to display....thanks

Old 01-24-2006, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

I own 3 different trailers for towing behind my ATV's. Each has a different use, purpose and place. So I think it would be necessary for you to look at how you will be using your trailer and select a type that best suits your needs. Tandem axle trailers distribute heavy loads over its tires better so the machine must be able to pull (and stop) the load. Single axle trailers put more weight on the tongue of the trailer which goes tothe back of the ATV towing it. So the ATV must then pull (stop) and carry the extra weight. A single axle may also require that extra weight be added to the front rack to keep all 4 tires on the ground. Also, depending on where the weight is placed in the single axle trailer determines how it handles when towing.

My personal favorite is a flat bed single axle trailer that a fella made me from salvaged ATV parts. It has a large plastic box with a lid (a large fish tote if you know what that is). It is strapped down to the bed and travels well. It can be taken off to haul other stuff on the trailer very easily. If it gets busted up I scrounge another one up. Plastic isn't always as durable as we would like it to be but is light weight. Aluminum is heavier but more durable.

Wether buying or building look at how and where you will use a trailer before you begin. I will also add that I think its Northern tool that sells the spindle, hub, bearings, and ATV tire as a package deal for around $80 U.S. Unless you already have the parts expect to pay around $300 for materials for a good custom trailer.

SJ

Old 01-26-2006, 12:20 PM
rv
Pro Rider

iv got the parts to build a two wheeled trailor but where we go on a rough mountainus muskegey rocky hilly trail a tandom is best so that is what i am gathering parts for now.

Quick Reply: building a trailor