Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Agri-fab Brinly Sears pull behind disc...Anyone used them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Agri-fab Brinly Sears pull behind disc...Anyone used them?

They all look to be the same, probably made by the same company. Just wondering how the work for food plot and loosening up the dirt in order to smooth trails.

Thanks Jeff

Old 02-21-2006, 11:24 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agri Fab products tend to be light duty. A couple weeks ago I looked at a system which is made by Tarter Gate and offered by Hunters Specialties. The up side of it was it was heavy duty which will help it dig in, the down side of it was it was heavy duty which makes it hard for the ATV to pull the extra weight. My pictures show the system I use.

Old 02-27-2006, 02:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

never used those, but i agree they look pretty light duty and wouldn't apply enough weight to do the job. i've used the plot mule by summit and the disc my monroetufline. the plot mule works excellent but is pricey.....$1599 at basspro or $899 + $225 shipping from summit. therefore i bought the disc from monroetufline.......$619. it works pretty well, especially if u add about 100lbs to it. you need at least a 400cc 4x4 atv with liquid cooling for these heavier discs. anything less than 400lbs in weight doesn't seem to cut into soil / sod in my experience (i've used some other light duty discs and took them back since they were too light and didn't work). good luck!

Old 02-27-2006, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider

I have a small brinley disc set up, about 30" i guess. It is lightweight and not wide enough to cover the tire tracks. It was designed for a lawn tractor. I used it to knock down the furrows from my plow and it did work but took alot of going over.
This next year i'll look into something bigger.
If you are going to do anything bigger then a 10' x 40' food plot you probably want to get more serious.
One of the biggest thing to consider is turning room at your food plot. If you are putting plots in the woods and cannot lift the disc to back up it will be difficult to manuver.
Deerkiller

Old 03-06-2006, 09:50 PM
Range Rover

I use an old set of discs from a wheel horse lawn tractor. They aren't nearly heavy enough but they break up the ground somewhat once I add weight on top. After I have it broken up some I haul my troy bilt tiller back in the woods with my trailer and go to town.

Old 03-06-2006, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the responses guys.

I bought a Brinly Hardy disc on eBay, looks to be 3/8"-1/2" metal plate everywhere other than the discs.

In order to get better ground penetration I got the autocad program fired up on the computer and made me a template for modifying the discs to the notched disc style seen on some of the higher dollar discs.

I notched 4 of them every 40 degrees with a 1-5/8" holesaw and the other 4 every 60 degrees with a 2" holesaw. Both with the holesaw center line in 5/8" in from the edge.

I will post the result this spring when I can try it out to see if $30 and a couple hours work can turn a $100 disc into something that will tear stuff up.

Jeff

Old 03-07-2006, 08:56 AM
Pro Rider

How did the hole saw work out? I ran a file over mine to see if they were hardend, I think they are at least tempered and noit mild steel.
I plan in taking the torch to mine.
Deerkiller.

Old 03-07-2006, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider

The hole saws worked pretty good as long as I drilled slow. I drilled with the discs flat on the drill press rather than tilting the table and after the first edge broke through they drilled a little easier so I stared drilling faster, that resulted in several teeth missing....oooppss!

A torch may really distort the disc if you use that. A plasma cutter torch would be the best if you have access to one, and really fast.