Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Any info on ATV LOGGING/ARCHES?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2000, 03:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Always interested in what other machines people are riding and WHY... Your CAT sounds swell...
i especially like that you compared the torque on all the bigger utility machines. Sounds like you really shopped around before you purchased. Smart. I'm going to see how the Big Bear treats me through the winter/spring and go from there...
printed out your extensive explanation of how to rig up a tow and will show it around the coffee shop to the boys over coffee and get their input too... THANKS!

Old 12-02-2000, 03:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Big Bear has a tow hitch...
no winch - yet.
Am shopping around now. Need mount as well. Have an ad in classifieds.

Old 12-03-2000, 10:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi.

I built a 'forwarding arch' for use with my small 4wd tractor, after looking at ATV arches for ideas. Mine lifts the entire (up to 16') log clear of the ground, as I have to travel over paved roads to get from my woodlot to my work area. Email me for a link to pictures and for further information.

Also, here is a link for commercially built ATV arches: http://www.novajack.com/english/html/skidding_arch.html

I have a 2000 Suzuki King Quad that I also use in the woods. In fact, woods use is the primary reason I went with the Zook, for it's three range transmission, Super Low and 4 Wheel Lock capabilities. Very pleased so far, haven't found anything even remotely reasonable that it won't do.

Old 12-04-2000, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider

Greetings,

I use my 450ES for pulling logs around the property. I mainly pull logs for firewood or locust trees out for fence posts (very heavy). I have also used it to build a couple of foot logs over the creek.

I have a regular ball hitch that passes through a steel towing loop from Cabelas. I run a chain through the steel loop and then use a set of big old timber tongs to snag the log. Once underway, it rarely slips off. I've also used just a simple hook and chain to wrap around a bundle of brush or small poles. The key with that is being able to get it off once its had a nice distance to pull tight.

Generally speaking, if you get traction, it will move it. The one problem I have is turning to run down hill. Given the length of the chain, sometimes the log won't turn at the same time so it starts rolling. Then I race ahead to snap it back in line. I've had a few exciting moments when it appears that it will catch up to me, or once it nearly rolled over the tall pole holding the martin house -- would not have been good.

Otherwise, it has been a great help in building fences and retrieving fire wood from the logging slash. It leaves a bit of wear on the ground, but hasn't really torn it up that much. And I really like doing it.

Old 12-16-2000, 07:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've often just run a chain, sometimes even a rope, through a bunch of brush and tightened it up as best i can and just pull and go... but with a chainsaw and tools on the back of the Big Bear and another box etc on front i'd like to get any logs off the ground and more stable - stiff-hitched - as i move along... folks here have been most helpful... think it's time for me to buiy a welder or marry one! thanks for your thoughts adn advice!

Old 12-21-2000, 11:21 PM
Weekend Warrior