Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

ATV camping

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV camping

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Scootergptx

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: AlabamaDan

I can't believe I left that off. My wife always laughed at me for keeping a roll in the Jeep until one night....</end quote></div>

LOL!!! Used to do that too. [img][/img] Now I just have a roll of paper towels. More of dual purpose thing.</end quote></div>

Better yet use those heavy duty shop wipers that come in a box. Either the blue Scott towels or the red wypall. Those are extremely useful to have with you and much more rugged than paper towels.

If you're really trying to watch the weight of your gear try the towels that are compressed down to a tablet the size of an antacid. You drop them in water and they expand into a towel.

Hand-E-Towel

Old 02-07-2009, 06:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default ATV camping

i bought a pack of those just to see what they were like. neat little things.. only use a bit of water, and would be great for cleaning off goggles, or wiping down a face of mud.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default ATV camping

i have been wanting to do the same. in fact thats why i just came to this forum tonite for the first time.

i myself really need to pack lite. i only have a 250 ex, and no racks on those.
i was thinking about getting something like a jungle hammock. they are esentialy a bed, tent, and shelter from rain, and bugs all in one package

here is something similar:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=183427

Old 02-07-2009, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATV camping

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: carry24-7

i have been wanting to do the same. in fact thats why i just came to this forum tonite for the first time.

i myself really need to pack lite. i only have a 250 ex, and no racks on those.

i was thinking about getting something like a jungle hammock. they are esentialy a bed, tent, and shelter from rain, and bugs all in one package

here is something similar:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=183427</end quote></div>

Back in the day I took very long extended hiking/hunting/exploring trips and jungle hammock type of shelters were my favorites in warm weather. The one I used was pretty lightweight and was cut a bit larger and more roomy than the mil surplus models. Only complication was finding trees the right distance apart which sometimes was more difficult than you would imagine. An hour or two before the time I planned on making camp I started looking for likely campsites with trees in a good position to tie off on.

Just make sure that the tree isn't rotten. Nothing like having the tree break and being dumped a couple of feet onto the hard ground when you're sound asleep. Might not seem all that painful but it seems like there is always a root or rock or something hard under you that catches you right in the lower back or ribs or something.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default ATV camping

I bought a "bivy" so I don't have to carry a tent. (adds about 2 pounds and on inch to my bedroll) We hope to get above the tree line or close to it (small trees). It will work unless there is heavy rain.
If you have a hitch you could make a rack that mounts off that and use a backpack!
My riding buddy found a welding shop that made his for about $40 bucks. It works good but everything behind the wheels will get dirty!!

Looks like there are 2 different viewpoints here, the truck campers that take everything and the old hikers that want to go light. Both are cool and fun there just different points of view.

Yes, I have toilet paper and a shovel for the cat holes. (please don't leave yours out for the rest of use to see)

Old 02-08-2009, 08:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default ATV camping

is the bivvy a pretty easy/ quick set up/take down? i was also considering using a bivvy as a shelter, i'm thinking that will be the smallest/lightest option for me.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default ATV camping

mine is just a bag, climb in and zip.
I can roll it up with the bag inside. When it is warmer I just use a blanket.
I've never had bug problems but you could maybe use a net over your face that's all that isn't covered.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:29 AM
Pro Rider
Default ATV camping

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Scootergptx

Wow, I'd have had toilet paper at the top of my list.</end quote></div>

To go one step further.......BABY WIPES!!

I don't think I've been on a hunting, fishing or camping trip without them. They come in handy for more things than wiping your ###. It's nice to scrub the hands and face once in a while as well. I never forget the wipes!

Old 03-09-2009, 10:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default ATV camping

I have to say. The bottom trailer is COOL as heck. I might have to look into getting something like that. Who makes those and how much are they.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:54 AM
Range Rover

I came across one named; Jumping Jack trailer

http://www.jumpingjacktrailers.com/videos.cfm

This video shows one in action as I'm looking for something that will allow me to transport my ATV to where we're going then turn around an allow us to tow it to where we'd like to set up camp. If anyone else knows of another trailer like this, please let me know, I'm still looking.

Quick Reply: ATV camping