Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

ATV camping

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 11:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV camping

Headed out west in late summer and will be camping/hunting off the quads.
What are some of your "must have" items to take. I'm trying to get rid of some stuff to save weight. I'll have 5 gal of extra gas and 2 1/2 gal of water so the old 350 is getting heavy. We'll be out for four days and three nights.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:53 PM
Trailblazer
Default ATV camping

Good potential thread. I've been thinking of doing the same thing this spring. I guess alot of it depends on how you go camping. Some people go extralight and only have to have 5lbs or stuff. Some are used to camping out of a Jeep and have lots. (I'm in the 2nd group)

At the basics we need:
1. ATV Items
2. Lighting
3. Shelter
4. Medical Supplies
5. Food and Water
6. Cooking Supplies
7. Clothing
8. Hunting Items
9. Misc

Ok. Let's think through the categories

1. ATV Items. Just like a cowboy and his horse, we have to take care of the ATV. After going through it completely before the trip, what else could be needed:

a. Fuel - Plan how far you'll go and what your MPG is.
b. Tire Repair Kit - Maybe some plugs and one of those tools
c. A can of Fix a Flat
d. Basic Tool Kit - Multi Screwdriver, Pliers, Basic Wrenchs, Hose Clamps, Zip Ties, Duct Tape, Recovery Strap
e. Tire Pump/compressor

2. Lighting. This could be anything from a coleman lantern, to a headlamp. Just remember extra fuel and/or batteries.

3. Shelter - A tent and/or sleeping bag. Depends on the person and weather. I'd at least have one of each, but it could be as simple as a tarp.

4. Medical Supplies - I'd always carry a basic first aid kit and know how to use it. Might also consider bug repellant and sunscreen.

5. Food and Water - A lot of this depends on the person too. Some people like to eat nice when camping, some not so much. You could survive for a few days on Ramen Noodles, but I'd want something else. This can get bulky and heavy quickly. For water you can carry it, or you could carry some form of purification method with you.

6. Cooking Supplies - Depending on what goes in #5, you may need a stove, pots and pans, etc. Don't forget that you'll have to have fuel also. You could ditch the stove and use the fire, but it requires more still and you need to have the ability to make a fire.

7. Clothing - Depends on the person. If it was just me I'd probably just have one change of clothes for a weekend trip. Don't forget about deoderant, glasses, contact cleaner, contacts, hair brush. I use baby wipes when I go camping to wipe down before bed. It's kinda like a shower.

8. Hunting Supplies - Here's a whole other category. Clothes, Guns, Knives, Bone Saw, Cooler and Ice, Permits, Binoculars

9. Misc Stuff - There's always other stuff to carry. Cell Phone and maybe an extra battery. Maps. A book to read or journal to write in. A camera. Maybe a shovel/axe. Garbage bags. Radio for Weather. Gloves.

Remember Pack it in - Pack it out.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:01 PM
Trailblazer
Default ATV camping

After thought. Rather than trying to load all this on the back of the ATV and weighing it down. What about a little trailer to pull behind. It something simple like this:

Or something really cool would be a mini pop up:

Old 01-29-2009, 01:58 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Default ATV camping

Each ATV carries a large Hockey/Army bag (Big as you can buy) on both the front and back rack. If you can not get everything you need in them for a 3 night camp out you bought to much stuff.

5 gallons is alot of extra gas. with the ATV full and a 5 gallons can,thats 200 Miles worth of riding! are you going to ride that much?

I bring a 2 gallon gas can and seldom use it.

I don,t know why every ATV manufacturer does not have large 7 gallon gas tanks like Arctic Cat used, then you can do 150miles on one fill up.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default ATV camping

very cool trailers. I am just afraid that the terrain might be to ruff for a trailer. We have looked for the small fold down models for pulling out some game, I hope.
I'm not into the super light camping but space and weight quickly become an issue. for example 3 small 2 man tents weigh less than the one big tent we have and you end up with extras if one tent fails we can buddy-up.
I like your list so far!

Old 01-29-2009, 02:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Default ATV camping

I see the most esential carry on item is in the center of the front rack on the first bike! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-29-2009, 02:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default ATV camping

great looking outfit! where was that trip?
I think your right on the fuel, we wouldn't be more than 15-20 miles from the truck and could just stash some there for extra. We'll be base camping then riding in and out to hunting area but your right not 200 miles.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:40 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 165 Likes on 164 Posts
Default ATV camping

Wow, I'd have had toilet paper at the top of my list.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:55 PM
Trailblazer
Default ATV camping

I can't believe I left that off. My wife always laughed at me for keeping a roll in the Jeep until one night....

Old 01-29-2009, 02:58 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 165 Likes on 164 Posts
Default ATV camping

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: AlabamaDan

I can't believe I left that off. My wife always laughed at me for keeping a roll in the Jeep until one night....</end quote></div>

LOL!!! Used to do that too. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Now I just have a roll of paper towels. More of dual purpose thing.

Quick Reply: ATV camping