Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Top 5 ATVs for Hunting

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Suzuki LT-F300F King Quad 4x4

Both my XP Tourings could do the job just fine. But...since they are high $$$...I've thought otherwise. Keep them for "touring" the trails...no work.

Now...IMHO...a really perfect atv that should make a top 10 list...is the old tried and true Suzuki LT-F300F King Quad 4x4 models. With 15 forward gears and huge towing ability with the sub-low option. For its day...large racks and tuff as nails.

Smaller in cc...but really designed with toughness in mind.

biz

Old 03-13-2013, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by biz4two
Both my XP Tourings could do the job just fine. But...since they are high $$$...I've thought otherwise. Keep them for "touring" the trails...no work.

Now...IMHO...a really perfect atv that should make a top 10 list...is the old tried and true Suzuki LT-F300F King Quad 4x4 models. With 15 forward gears and huge towing ability with the sub-low option. For its day...large racks and tuff as nails.

Smaller in cc...but really designed with toughness in mind.

biz
Those were great quads.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:16 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never seen a 4x4 ATV with racks that not good for hunting.
Its like the top 5 mini vans to take the kids to school with.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Any Advise and damn thats a beautiful pic!!

[quote=jimmyc;3172535]I agree 100%. I've got a 2011 850XP X2 and I think it's the most versatile ATV on the market especially for hunting!

Name:  IMG_4335a_zps91d236c2.jpg
Views: 3498
Size:  165.1 KB
Newbie so bear with me..... First of all, fantastic pic! That pic sums up what a perfect day is.

I had to do away with my old ATV years ago as I needed money back then for raising my two girls who are now 7 and 10. I've recently started putting money away for a "newish" ATV. I'm 40, I deserve it! So through due diligence I've narrowed my picks to 1. a late model X2 or 2. an Outlander Max, also late model.
I like the concept of these two as I can ride a buddy or my daughters around when need be. I could settle for a single rider ATV w/ an after market seat but don't trust those with my kids. Maybe its just a mental thing but feel better if the seat was in place from the manufacture. Everything I've read is concept for me and am curious if the X2 has met all your expectations? (outside of the obvious pic!) Comfy ride for passengers, axle to rear seat position really make a difference for rider,?? etc. Thanks in advance for any response.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by GatorHater
Newbie so bear with me..... First of all, fantastic pic! That pic sums up what a perfect day is.

I had to do away with my old ATV years ago as I needed money back then for raising my two girls who are now 7 and 10. I've recently started putting money away for a "newish" ATV. I'm 40, I deserve it! So through due diligence I've narrowed my picks to 1. a late model X2 or 2. an Outlander Max, also late model.
I like the concept of these two as I can ride a buddy or my daughters around when need be. I could settle for a single rider ATV w/ an after market seat but don't trust those with my kids. Maybe its just a mental thing but feel better if the seat was in place from the manufacture. Everything I've read is concept for me and am curious if the X2 has met all your expectations? (outside of the obvious pic!) Comfy ride for passengers, axle to rear seat position really make a difference for rider,?? etc. Thanks in advance for any response.
X2 is more of a mini-dump truck that allows you to take a passenger along for the ride every so often. I had the early 2006 and the backrest that flips down to become the passenger seat bottom, was kind of hard. Newer ones used a much more comfortable foam. X2 has the best toting numbers of anything short of the Polaris 6x6. If you want comfort and plan to take someone along as a passenger fairly often get either the Polaris Touring or the Can-Am Outlander Max. Of the two I would lean towards the Outlander Max for one huge reason. When you put the seat on the Polaris Touring there is very little rear rack space left. With the Outlander Max you get a full racks worth of space even with the passenger seat mounted. Without the passenger seat there is a ton of rack space and a nice box to stow stuff. That's why I went to the Max. Wife is much more comfortable on the rides she goes on with me.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
X2 is more of a mini-dump truck that allows you to take a passenger along for the ride every so often. I had the early 2006 and the backrest that flips down to become the passenger seat bottom, was kind of hard. Newer ones used a much more comfortable foam. X2 has the best toting numbers of anything short of the Polaris 6x6. If you want comfort and plan to take someone along as a passenger fairly often get either the Polaris Touring or the Can-Am Outlander Max. Of the two I would lean towards the Outlander Max for one huge reason. When you put the seat on the Polaris Touring there is very little rear rack space left. With the Outlander Max you get a full racks worth of space even with the passenger seat mounted. Without the passenger seat there is a ton of rack space and a nice box to stow stuff. That's why I went to the Max. Wife is much more comfortable on the rides she goes on with me.
Good stuff and thx for your response! All very valid points. One issue I face for both models is availability. They're out there and late models come in at about $5K which is where I want to be at. But a challenge I have and seems to be the same everywhere is youll have to drive to get one! I live in ATL and search often through out the south east states and for both of those models, you'll come across a handful. More of the X2's than the max's. You'll find all the standard Outlanders and Sportsmans you'll ever want though!
I guess the issues I see with X2 is that I'll hardly use the dump part of the back rack maybe, 5 times. So it'll have little use. The Max I could imagine would have the more comfy seat but the X2 has the better design with the seat folding in to the body of the ATV.
I see I can probably answer my own question by whats available at the time I purchase! Damn though, I'm jealous of you all who are more worried about putting gas in one you already own! Thx again we'll see if I end up in a Can Am, the "BMW" of ATV's!
Thx
Rob

Old 03-21-2013, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Try to get a 2011 and up Max if possible. The older Visco Lok (Can-Am's front locking differential) were slower to engage than the newer model years. Don't remember if anyone talked about that. Newer ones, Visco Lok QE (Quick engagement), are almost as fast as Polaris' system.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:05 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the QE is practically instant- but even the 08 visco was improved over the previous models- the 07 and earlier visco was pretty slow to lock in.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:40 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by beergut
the QE is practically instant- but even the 08 visco was improved over the previous models- the 07 and earlier visco was pretty slow to lock in.
Even the older once did work,I do not see why it taking a few more seconds would make any differance at least you knew AWD was coming very soon.

I rode a few Grizzlies and the procedure to put them in diff lock mode is defiantly not what I would call quick.
You have to come to a complete stop and put the ATV in low range before enegaging diff lock.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by TLC
Even the older once did work,I do not see why it taking a few more seconds would make any differance at least you knew AWD was coming very soon.

I rode a few Grizzlies and the procedure to put them in diff lock mode is defiantly not what I would call quick.
You have to come to a complete stop and put the ATV in low range before enegaging diff lock.
Big reasons why I like the Polaris and more recent Can-Am systems.

Quick Reply: Top 5 ATVs for Hunting