Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

GOT IT BAD!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2001, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been deer hunting for over 20yrs,some years it is not that bad waiting for season to open.But this is one of those yrs that I just can't wait!We are going hog hunting this weekend,which will help some but man I wish it was Oct 6th now!!!Does anyone other than me go through this? Some of us on this forum I know worry more about hunting than riding this time of year,so tell us about what you get.Good luck to everyone this year.

Old 09-12-2001, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

Oh man I'm tellin ya! I CAN'T WAIT for season to roll around, it seems to be taking FOREVER! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I did get to go bear hunting here about a week ago, had a sow bring two cubs less than 20' from me, while sitting up against a tree. That was pretty cool, as she was walking strait towards me, I thought she might be approaching to attack or something because I was too close, but then she swerved, walked right down in front of me, then called to the cubs, had them come running. Pretty cool. Consider yourself lucky though because our deer season doesn't open till the 17th! My partner and I have cow tags this year for elk, this is the first year I have ever had one, in my last 5 years of elk hunting. Pretty excited about that one [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Then we've got the late buck hunt the second week of November.

Not only am I itching for season to roll around, but my pour 'Cat is just DYING to go out and bring in a bear, deer, elk and cougar. I can hear her all excited out in the garage every night after I go to sleep, she's growling, must be dreaming about the upcoming hunt, ready to sink her 'Claws into that deep mud and snow to bring back that spike or cow elk we bring down. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

I guess one good thing is this weekend GrizRick is coming up, we're going camping and riding up around my elk hunting area. It should be the peak of the rut, so I'm hoping we'll see a bunch of nice herd bulls roaming around strutting their stuff, bugling and calling all their cows, keeping the satellites and spike bulls away from their herem's. Man I can just smell them now-that putred stench of a big bull soaked in sweat, urinating all over himself in excitement, nose to the ground just yards away letting loose of that earpiercing squeal that makes your hair stand up on the back of your neck.... oh MAN I can feel it now! Most would agree that is about the worst smell in the world, but to guys like me, there just ain't nothing better-I live for this time of year, and am eagerly awaiting the clock to strike 6:15 am signifying opening morning on Oct. 27. Luckily, season has been pushed back about a week and a half, with any luck, we'll get an early snowfall up high, with driving winds, forcing the larger herds down lower into the valleys, and with the recent fire up in that area, they should be more concentrated. I'm breathless with anticipation of this upcoming ride, just to witness these magnificant animals in all their glory. Seeing whitetails in rut is one thing, but you just ain't lived till you've seen the big 6x6 bulls going at it, man that is awesome!

Anyway, sorry to get a little overly excited, like I said, this is the best time of year for me-sorry to get carried away... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Best of Luck to you and all the other hunters who are also eagerly awaiting opening day. Happy Hunting!

Mike

Old 09-13-2001, 08:53 AM
Pro Rider

Man I am ready to move to Washington after reading that.My son and I spend every weekend in treestands from Oct to Dec.To us there is nothing better that a BIG whittail being 5 yards right under you jsut waiting for a shot,that couple of mins seems like hours.This year we get to hunt turkey & deer the first 3 weeks in Oct.Again good luck to all & let us know how everyone does.Daryl

Old 09-13-2001, 01:45 PM
Trailblazer

cowboy went up to rimrock last weekend to ride and seen 5 spikes 3 branch and 41 cows and sum deer and turkey hope we get sum rain and then sum snow its dryer then a popcorn fart elk are up varry high

Old 09-13-2001, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider

Grizz-
What part of Rimrock were you in??? I hunt up the Spencer Creek grade on the 1202 road-well, that's base camp anyway, we hunt all over the entire area. I was curious to know how much of that burned up in there-I heard rumors that up the 1000 area, and towards Conrad meadows, but don't know how much, or where exactly it was. I hope it was far enough away from the 364 area, or at least our hunting place to not effect our herds in a negative manner. Was also wondering though if maybe it might actually help, by concentrating the herds a little more. That area forces them down through the natural boundaries, we may see more than usual because of the fire??? GrizRick and I will be up there saturday. If you're interested, let me know, we'll be there Sat afternoon, ride a little saturday evening, then all day sunday. He's never been up here before, so I'm hoping to show him some good trails and some beautiful scenery, as well as a ton of wildlife if we're lucky.

I don't know how familiar you are with the area, but I went out the old 1206 road last time up there, found a few jeep trails that look like they might work their way all the way up to the top of the mountain range, possibly hook up to the 613 road on the very top, or just over the other side. I'm also planning on glassing with the Leupold Gold Rings up at the top of 1201, maybe see some mountain goats. I've found 6 in there at one time, high up on the bluffs, but have no idea how they got there, or what they eat-it is a solid wall of rock.

Anyway, that is awesome you saw that many elk, not to mention the deer and turkey. We used to see two main bunches of turkey with up to 40 birds or more per group about every time I went up there, but didn't see a single one this last time I was there. Course, it was terribly dry like you said, they could have been up higher too, I don't know. I did manage to find a few good mudholes to play in last time, hopefully they'll still have a little something in them.

Anyway, Best of Luck,

Mike

Old 09-13-2001, 09:10 PM
Trailblazer

we mosty went up soup creek then went over to the lost lake 1201 road right wear you hunt seen no fires i think were hunting bethel ridge this year up by tieton pond lots of elk this sumer. up on top

Old 09-16-2001, 02:14 AM
Pro Rider

are you having a strange sensation in your trigger finger? something like an itch perhaps? i like hunting predators more than anything else. there is nothing like releasing a 50 grain projectile at 4000 fps and watching it annihalite its target. of course it matters how large your quarry is to acheive total breakdown of all bodily systems and separation from all ties to the natural world.

sounds kind of sick when you phrase it in that way doesn't it??

i just like blowing the living $hit out of little critters.

texascat