Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

.45 or 9mm

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .45 or 9mm

I used to have an FFL several years ago.

I USED to know quite a bit about guns....... Especially the handguns![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I was kind a connesuier (spell?) of handguns.

Could tell you what make and model was just by seeing the gun from a distance.

Oh yeah, forgot about the Glocks and Sigs too. Those are also great guns![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-09-2003, 12:28 PM
Trailblazer
Default .45 or 9mm

There is one rule of thumb about bear protection handguns, Get your hands on the biggest one you can find! I use a custom 4 1/2" single action 5 shot 45 long colt shooting my own 335grain cast bullets over a stiff charge of powder. I have used this load to stop several big bruins, with penetration through both front sholders!

Go with a compact .44 using good ammo(Cor-bon, Garrett, of Buffalo Bore) and you will have no problems If you should need it. Larger if you can handle it. Big browns have a heart rate that is only a few beats a min. You need bone crushing power to stop charging bears.

Raffica

In case you dont know what Raffica stands for...It = FullAuto or Burst in Itialian.

And yes I am a gun nut...

Old 03-09-2003, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default .45 or 9mm

Well i am only really looking at the Rugers I think i will probably go with the 45 cus it beats having a .22 with you.....and bears arent really that big of a problem...I just wanted it for a good pistol to just shoot and have along somtimes just for the fun of it. I've never had a pistol just a .22 pistol is all....but none of you answered my Questions......Does the .45 auto P-90 kick like a horse and wont be fun to shoot and how much did you guys pay for your Ruger P-90 Autos????????thats what i really wanted too know....

Old 03-09-2003, 07:32 PM
Trailblazer
Default .45 or 9mm

Ruger P series are good reliable guns but, the ergonomics and accuracy are something to be desired.
$350-400 is about the norm for used/new.

Old 03-09-2003, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default .45 or 9mm

Never have shot the P-90.

I can tell you this about the 45's:

The longer the barrel the easier to shot. The harder it is to conceal.
The shorter the barrel, the more the gun whats to flip up. But it's esier to conceal.

Old 03-09-2003, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default .45 or 9mm

Recoil is a perception issue. What I may not even notice, you may consider quite violent. The military dropped the 45 years ago to adopt the 9 in part because they felt the average joe couldn't handle the recoil of full house 45s even though the 45 is the superior round. Bad news is, if you can't handle the 45 you can't handle the 9 either. Practice is the only thing that allows anyone to become adept at the shooting sports and it takes more than a few hundred rounds at the range once a month to get you to a point of being capable of defending yourself with a handgun reliably.

My choice is the Springfield Mil Spec 45. I've purchased locally for $379. It's a more suitable weapon and can be modified with all the neat bells and whistles if you so choose.

My point to all this is purchase wisely and practice, practice, practice.

Old 03-09-2003, 08:31 PM
Trailblazer
Default .45 or 9mm

If you really want this pistol for self-defense against bears then recoil should be your last concern, knock-down power and first shot kills should be your first. When you get in the situation you won't even hear the shot or feel the recoil, TRUST ME. Anyone who has hunted big game(moose,elk,buffalo),or an officer of the law will attest to remembering the feel or the sound of the weapon when faced with the moment. The only time you will deal with recoil is when you target shoot. With your big bore hunting defense pistol you only need to shoot it a couple times a year. I shoot my .375 rifle once a year to make sure it shoots as sited. It kicks my *** everytime on the range but never when shooting at game... I never feel it or hear it when shooting at game. Just trying to help you understand what you are buying and why. The .45acp officers model with produce quite a bit of recoil compared to its pleasant shooting full sized brother. Look at some of the 6" or better heavy barreled revolvers to stop bears. Any of the most common magnums will work nicely, 44mag, 41mag, and 45 colt. These rounds throw a ton of lead and hit like trucks under 15yrds. Happy decisions.

Old 03-09-2003, 09:27 PM
Trailblazer
Default .45 or 9mm

I bought a Glock m22 (.40cal) a few years ago. It has a lot more stopping power than the 9 while doesn't seem to have the recoil of a .45. I was gonna get a sig but found the glock for about 350 less. The glock's a hell of a gun if you ask me. Very reliable and accurate. Hope that helps.

Old 03-10-2003, 07:43 AM
Pro Rider
Default .45 or 9mm

Originally posted by: GoToATVFrontier
I really like my 9mm but wouldn't be confident it would stop a bear. I also don't feel a .45 would for that point. I would get my hands on a 10mm at least or something even bigger!
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but the 10mm is between the 9mm and the 45 ACP. It was made for the Bren Ten pistol take is no longer with us, and is now chambered in other firearms. Law enforcement officers(Not all that is) were crying about the 45 ACP having to much recoil and the 9 mm not being enough gun to do the job. So the 10mm was made. The FBI was using it. I have read though that they are going back to the 45 ACP. Guns and Ammo just have an article about it.

Old 03-10-2003, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider
Default .45 or 9mm

So does the .45 ACP have too much recoil for the common shooter????????Not against bears or nothing just shooting at a target........Is it too much to shoot and have fun with a 45 or should i go with the 9mm but they are kind of small arent they??????