Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

hi! what you buy if youmcould do it again?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 10:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hi! what you buy,if you could do it again?

ok here it is. im am thinkink about purchasing another utility atv. i currently own an 03 grizzly 660. over the yrs the only problems ive had are the clutch, belt gets stuck down in the sheves when you come to a sudden stop annoying but i would think it would be a problem with all automatics. the other thing is i have broken 3 of the outter cv joints, and bent a tie rod. so anyway im thinking i would like another one but unsure as to what to get. looking for advuce from those who ride with mixed brands. polais seems heavy, thought about another grizzly but dont think there is a big enough difference between the 660 and the 700 to justify. thought about can-am. dont no anything about actic cat or kawasaki. i dont drag race,or ride in deep bogs or much water. mostly mountains, rocks, timber. but i want somthing fun, reliable and unstoppable or as close to it as i can get. so i want to here from those of you that have seen what they can do. WHAT WOULD YOU RECOMMENED?

Old 07-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Polaris are heavy and for a reason. They've got the strongest frames on them. A Sportsman 850 would be a great sporty machine, with great comfortable ride with all the 4wd functionality you will need. CanAm has a 650 and 800. Tend to have most power per cc and a good ride. Frame is a little on the weak side but you can buy skid plates and an insert that you can install inside the spar frame to stiffen it up. Grizzly 700 is a great all around machine and the power steering makes it that much better. Brute Force is just that. A brute. Powerful engine that will pull through just about anything with nice aggessive looks. Weird way to lock up the front differential. You have to hold on to a little yellow lever to keep it locked. Suzuki King Quad is maybe the most bang for the buck. Don't know much about Arctic Cats. Honda machines are super reliable but underpowered per cc and don't have a full locker in the front.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome

Old 07-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome!

Old 07-06-2010, 12:07 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider

How many miles do you put on and how fast is the terrain you ride in?

Old 07-06-2010, 01:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Welcome!

Old 07-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

I don't really ride all that fast and the rides are probably short. 3 or 4 hour rides at probably 20mph mostly
Its all back woods stuff.
Basicly want light with best traction control and I've never complained about to much power

Old 07-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Polaris are heavy and for a reason. They've got the strongest frames on them. A Sportsman 850 would be a great sporty machine, with great comfortable ride with all the 4wd functionality you will need. CanAm has a 650 and 800. Tend to have most power per cc and a good ride. Frame is a little on the weak side but you can buy skid plates and an insert that you can install inside the spar frame to stiffen it up. Grizzly 700 is a great all around machine and the power steering makes it that much better. Brute Force is just that. A brute. Powerful engine that will pull through just about anything with nice aggessive looks. Weird way to lock up the front differential. You have to hold on to a little yellow lever to keep it locked. Suzuki King Quad is maybe the most bang for the buck. Don't know much about Arctic Cats. Honda machines are super reliable but underpowered per cc and don't have a full locker in the front.
x2 On everything Moose said but trying to compare a 660 to a 700/550 and tho similar to the eye and in HP are to totally different machines with totally different engines. With EFI and thing like Power Steering and a Mass centered chassis it is more than just a 660 on steroids. The best way to look at it is is take all the 660's faults and fix them then you end up with the 700/550 Chassis! IMO the best quad for what you are looking for is a 550 Grizz similar in HP to your 660 in a lighter weight better all around built quad!

Old 07-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

The Grizzly 550 and 700 are nice. Rode them some and can say they are the closest to Polaris as far as ride quality goes. I have a bad disc and the Polaris ride was one of my main buying reasons. The Grizzly is pretty close though.