Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

Hello all from NY

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 01:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess its a different world where you live. Fields are not available here for anyone to go ride in. Unless you own it, stay out of it. That's how it is here. Maybe your clubs have some sort of agreement and that's great. No such thing here. I'm not trying to argue with you. Its cool that your clubs and farmers have come to an agreement to allow this sort of off-season access. Here people aren't so open. Private property is just that, private. Stay out. There would be no trails marked because you wouldn't be allowed to make any.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by greg74
I guess its a different world where you live. Fields are not available here for anyone to go ride in. Unless you own it, stay out of it. That's how it is here. Maybe your clubs have some sort of agreement and that's great. No such thing here. I'm not trying to argue with you. Its cool that your clubs and farmers have come to an agreement to allow this sort of off-season access. Here people aren't so open. Private property is just that, private. Stay out. There would be no trails marked because you wouldn't be allowed to make any.
No worries then. Just when you insinuated I may be trespassing, well, that hurts. But it is common to see marked trail through parts of crop fields here in the winter. The clubs carry the insurance and work with landowners to open trail. It is a delicate dance.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Scooter86
No worries then. Just when you insinuated I may be trespassing, well, that hurts. But it is common to see marked trail through parts of crop fields here in the winter. The clubs carry the insurance and work with landowners to open trail. It is a delicate dance.
I wish it were like that here, it just isn't. Its almost to the point that as soon as I get my Grizzly fixed, I'm considering selling it because its just too much of a hassle always having to haul it somewhere far away to ride it someplace decent. Landowners are pretty much a--holes around here. If I owned land, I wouldn't care if people rode on it. Just don't sue me if you get hurt, that's the only requirement I would have. And yeah, keep your riding to the daytime too, although I work 2nd shift so at 2 am I'm still awake myself. But you'd **** off everyone else trying to sleep lol. I've noticed in many of the videos I've watched and youtube channels I subscribe to that in our neighbor to the north, Canada, everyone seems very friendly toward quad riders and there seems to be endless land available to ride on. And quads in many places are street-legal to a point as I see most have plates on them. I might just buy a motorcycle and not have to worry about where to ride it, any road will do. Never owned one, nor do I have a motorcycle license but I'm sure I could pass a test and get one. You can even do that on a scooter, which I have rode before. I'm not big on manual clutches but there are a few automatic bikes. Honda in fact makes one with a dual clutch auto, the 700ncx which looks like it would be great bike for a beginner as well. I actually saw one locally on craigslist recently.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, that is one of the big reasons I started racing, to find other places and people to ride with. I still have to haul my gear at least 1.5 hours to find decent riding. It sucks up an entire day at least, but it is my stress relief. I love trying the poker and benefit runs too. When I was a kid, I had a thousand acres to ride from my front door, all farmlands, most of it was in the family or family friends. I have been really happy to see some of these local clubs grow and thrive. Hopefully Nazz can find the same thing in his neck of the woods. WNY is a whole different state then the areas around NYC though.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Honestly, there's a couple places within that 1.5 hour drive of me as well. Nice places in fact. So I guess my options aren't that bad at all. The place I most recently went to was about 60 miles away. Not real challenging terrain on the main trail but still pretty fun. A lot of fairly steep hill climbs. Up one hill and down another. Any 2wd sport quad with a decent amount of power could really rip on the main trail. Or a utility with a lot of low end power like a Grizzly. Have to be aware of the little hills on the flatter sections that end up being small ramps if you hit them too fast. The Grizzly has enough suspension it can handle it, just have to be ready for it or you'll land nose first. Get off the main trail on one of the side trails, that's where the mud was. I'm feeling a little more upbeat as I found out the belt broke on my Grizzly, that's why it wouldn't move. Won't cost nearly as much money to fix as I originally thought. It needs a couple other minor things too but won't be the huge bill I was dreading. I might go back to that place sometime soon. I went on a day during the week and there were only a couple other people there. On weekends I'm sure its much more crowded.