Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

first wheeler at 55 yrs old

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 05:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first wheeler at 55 yrs old

hello, just purchased my first atv, a 1999 polaris sportman 5oo. so i have a lot to learn. i have always been a dirtbike rider but substained an injury to my back in july, not going to bounce back from this one, hugely overshot a jump and x rays and mri showed herniated disc and showed that i have a thing going on called disc space narrowing. 4 months of pain later, 7 injections in my back,decided from docs advice and pleading from my wife to sell the mx bike. i have a love for things with motors and dirt so here i am. . hoping to meet some new friends in this sport and will have some tech questions and riding area questions as well..

Old 11-24-2015, 06:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome! Sorry to hear about your injury, take care of yourself and enjoy that quad.

Old 11-25-2015, 06:43 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 165 Likes on 164 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome. Your back will appreciate the independent rear suspension.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:25 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by greg74
Welcome. Your back will appreciate the independent rear suspension.
Amen to that! Welcome to the 4 wheel side! The seats are wayyy more comfortable, and atvs dont require a kick stand 😀

Old 11-25-2015, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Sorry to hear about the injuries. Have back problems too.

Polaris is a good choice for folks with back injuries. Has the most comfortable ride in my mind.

Welcome to the forums.

Old 11-25-2015, 05:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, I'm getting older but refuse to grow up!

Sound familiar?

Old 11-25-2015, 09:22 PM
Trailblazer

I also just got my first ATV at 55.
Welcome to the forum.

Rick

Old 11-26-2015, 10:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You never get too old to have fun. I'm a bit younger than some of you, 41 here myself. I've been fortunate to never have had any major injuries. I'll admit I do many times choose the more conservative path on the trail most of the time anymore. Just recently I was riding with someone. He had an older Honda 300 fourtrax 2x4. He tried to climb a hill I wasn't even going to attempt on my Grizzly because it was so steep and had tree roots crossing it, I was going to take another, easier to climb hill. He got to the top and hit one of the roots and yes flipped it. Luckily he wasn't really hurt and another tree caught it from tumbling down but the hard impact busted the rear end. And also luckily we weren't too far from his buddies house. I hooked a tow strap to the Honda, put the Grizzly in low and 4x4 and pulled it up the easier hill to his buddies' house. I think he was trying to show the old Honda could handle anything but sometimes its best not to push your limits.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default thank for the welcome +

thanks everyone for the welcome. greg74, in reply to what you wrote, pushing our limits is what life is all about, there would not be any great athletes if we did not try to push on , faster and better than we were able to achieve the day before. this attitude is not for every one of course, but for me, I will always want to push those limits just a bit. some would call us , adrenaline junkies, I call it just plain fun.

Quick Reply: first wheeler at 55 yrs old