Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

400ex Ticking and Metal Shavings

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You mean you did a ring swap only...I've personally never gone down that path...

Now that you have it running again would you be willing to try & isolate the ticking? Using a solid metal rod against the engine & against your ear will help you determine if in the bottom end, cylinder or valves.

Only suggesting because the shop is going to cost you a ton to rebuild it...

There are LOTS of vids (one of several above) to help guide you...

I guess I'm to stubborn & cheap to give up and let the dealer have it...

Old 04-03-2017, 01:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed the tick coming from the top end with the cam on the right front (if sitting on the bike). I just needed a couple days away from the bike really. I got my YZ450 running and my Raptor this weekend so I'm going to pull that 400 back in and take another look before I hit my Polaris Xpress. Once I get into the top end I will post some pictures and possible video link too actually so you can see what I'm seeing. Four eyes are better than two, especially when I don't know what to truly look for. I'll keep you posted.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read up on this...2 major causes are cam timing guide/tensioner and tappet wear.

Read that getting the tensioner in correctly requires a trick...or the "T" can get stripped...hopefully a vid will cover this.

I'd replace the tappets regardless...they should be cheap...