When to buy used? - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

When to buy used?

Reply

  #1  
Old 09-14-2018, 09:03 AM
EJM
EJM is offline
Weekend Warrior
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 16
Default When to buy used?

Need some advice on buying a used quad. Is there a better time of the year to buy like when you are buying new or is that only for new quads? I am looking for a 2 up quad and I will not be using it till the spring, so I am in no rush.

Thanks,

EJ
 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-14-2018, 09:15 AM
scootergptx's Avatar
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 4th Floor, Footwear
Posts: 117,169
Default

Welcome to the forums.

You may catch someone wanting the latest version, and they sell there's at a good price to get the new one. But mostly from what I've seen, getting a really good deal on a used quad has been more luck than anything else. Not much of a scientific answer, but just how it's gone for me.
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-14-2018, 09:20 AM
EJM
EJM is offline
Weekend Warrior
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 16
Default

Originally Posted by scootergptx View Post
Welcome to the forums.

You may catch someone wanting the latest version, and they sell there's at a good price to get the new one. But mostly from what I've seen, getting a really good deal on a used quad has been more luck than anything else. Not much of a scientific answer, but just how it's gone for me.
That's what I was thinking, but a friend told me to wait till January. Not sure why.
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-14-2018, 09:23 AM
scootergptx's Avatar
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 4th Floor, Footwear
Posts: 117,169
Default

Not sure either, but only thing I can think of is someone got a new one for Christmas.
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-14-2018, 09:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,987
Default

The best time to get a good deal on a used atv is usually in the winter up until tax season. Many will buy a new atv with the tax return money and then they're really eager to sell the old one, good news for those looking for a used unit. Dealers are also trying to get rid of old stock during that time so usually big discounts so many will buy new and that means a lot of used units traded in.
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-14-2018, 10:06 AM
EJM
EJM is offline
Weekend Warrior
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 16
Default

Originally Posted by greg74 View Post
The best time to get a good deal on a used atv is usually in the winter up until tax season. Many will buy a new atv with the tax return money and then they're really eager to sell the old one, good news for those looking for a used unit. Dealers are also trying to get rid of old stock during that time so usually big discounts so many will buy new and that means a lot of used units traded in.
That makes sense that's for the tip
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-14-2018, 02:59 PM
MooseHenden's Avatar
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 35,856
Default

I agree with winter probably being the best time to look around. In addition to being the "off" season for riding, you also have people who traded in their quad for the latest and greatest machines that usually come out later summer to early fall.
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-15-2018, 12:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,987
Default

Its also a bit of slow time too for dealers as its the offseason for riding for most. If they have a lot of units in stock, either new or used, they're generally willing to negotiate more on price to get rid of them. My local Kawasaki dealer had a big sale about 2 1/2 years ago to try to thin out their used stock. Most was sold for well under retail price. They originally only wanted to make it a one weekend sale but demand was so strong that they extended it a whole other week. I pondered buying something different then but couldn't find exactly what i was looking for.
 
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-16-2018, 10:15 AM
Weekend Warrior
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Kitsap WA
Posts: 11
Default

No real good time. If you know what machine you want or at least type just set an alert on a craigslist app and see what pops up. Most of mine I've lucked out and found a decent deal. Sometimes they are having a life change and are looking to get rid of quickly. If you see a deal that looks good jump on it. I've kicked myself a couple of times for not going to look at it that day and it being gone the next.
 
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-16-2018, 11:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,987
Default

Originally Posted by Liberty4u View Post
No real good time. If you know what machine you want or at least type just set an alert on a craigslist app and see what pops up. Most of mine I've lucked out and found a decent deal. Sometimes they are having a life change and are looking to get rid of quickly. If you see a deal that looks good jump on it. I've kicked myself a couple of times for not going to look at it that day and it being gone the next.
I've seen those deals on craigslist. Somebody has a baby on the way and the toys have to go etc. Or a divorce, health issues, the list goes on. The desperate seller is always the one most willing to negotiate. And yeah sometimes you look the next day and its gone.
 
Reply With Quote
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
MrH1325
Buying an ATV
7
07-06-2017 06:37 PM
hit.the.gas
Polaris
0
05-02-2011 10:21 AM
extreme4x4
Polaris
0
08-11-2006 02:44 PM
OffRder15
Honda
21
03-15-2003 09:19 AM
baldheadedgeek
Honda
2
08-29-2001 09:10 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: When to buy used?


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: