Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

When to buy used?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 09:03 AM
EJM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When to buy used?

Need some advice on buying a used quad. Is there a better time of the year to buy like when you are buying new or is that only for new quads? I am looking for a 2 up quad and I will not be using it till the spring, so I am in no rush.

Thanks,

EJ

Old 09-14-2018, 09:15 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

You may catch someone wanting the latest version, and they sell there's at a good price to get the new one. But mostly from what I've seen, getting a really good deal on a used quad has been more luck than anything else. Not much of a scientific answer, but just how it's gone for me.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:20 AM
EJM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by scootergptx
Welcome to the forums.

You may catch someone wanting the latest version, and they sell there's at a good price to get the new one. But mostly from what I've seen, getting a really good deal on a used quad has been more luck than anything else. Not much of a scientific answer, but just how it's gone for me.
That's what I was thinking, but a friend told me to wait till January. Not sure why.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:23 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Not sure either, but only thing I can think of is someone got a new one for Christmas.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The best time to get a good deal on a used atv is usually in the winter up until tax season. Many will buy a new atv with the tax return money and then they're really eager to sell the old one, good news for those looking for a used unit. Dealers are also trying to get rid of old stock during that time so usually big discounts so many will buy new and that means a lot of used units traded in.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:06 AM
EJM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by greg74
The best time to get a good deal on a used atv is usually in the winter up until tax season. Many will buy a new atv with the tax return money and then they're really eager to sell the old one, good news for those looking for a used unit. Dealers are also trying to get rid of old stock during that time so usually big discounts so many will buy new and that means a lot of used units traded in.
That makes sense that's for the tip

Old 09-14-2018, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I agree with winter probably being the best time to look around. In addition to being the "off" season for riding, you also have people who traded in their quad for the latest and greatest machines that usually come out later summer to early fall.

Old 09-15-2018, 12:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Its also a bit of slow time too for dealers as its the offseason for riding for most. If they have a lot of units in stock, either new or used, they're generally willing to negotiate more on price to get rid of them. My local Kawasaki dealer had a big sale about 2 1/2 years ago to try to thin out their used stock. Most was sold for well under retail price. They originally only wanted to make it a one weekend sale but demand was so strong that they extended it a whole other week. I pondered buying something different then but couldn't find exactly what i was looking for.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

No real good time. If you know what machine you want or at least type just set an alert on a craigslist app and see what pops up. Most of mine I've lucked out and found a decent deal. Sometimes they are having a life change and are looking to get rid of quickly. If you see a deal that looks good jump on it. I've kicked myself a couple of times for not going to look at it that day and it being gone the next.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Liberty4u
No real good time. If you know what machine you want or at least type just set an alert on a craigslist app and see what pops up. Most of mine I've lucked out and found a decent deal. Sometimes they are having a life change and are looking to get rid of quickly. If you see a deal that looks good jump on it. I've kicked myself a couple of times for not going to look at it that day and it being gone the next.
I've seen those deals on craigslist. Somebody has a baby on the way and the toys have to go etc. Or a divorce, health issues, the list goes on. The desperate seller is always the one most willing to negotiate. And yeah sometimes you look the next day and its gone.