Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Tecate 4 wont go in full throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 06:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tecate 4 wont go in full throttle?

Well I finally got my Tecate 4 running and took it up the street but it dies in full throttle. It runs ok at 1/2 or 3/4 throttle but as soon as is nail it it just bogs and wants to die. What could this be Im kinda new to 2 strokes and quads all together as I havent had one in awhile so I need a little help on this one. Could it be that KIPS valve or the carb? Im not sure. TIA

Old 05-17-2003, 07:49 PM
Trailblazer

Anyone have any ideas. I took the cover off the KIPS valve governer and cranked the engine I reved it to see if the KIPS valves were working and they seem to be the little rod moved out when the revs went up?

Old 05-17-2003, 10:12 PM
Trailblazer

You might be running to rich. Turn your air screw out alittle bit. See if that helps. I run 1 1/2 to 2 turns on my dirt bikes. Check your main jet and see what that is. Go down a notch or two there. Also check your needle clip to. See what slot your on. I'm guessing that the carb is a keihin. http://www.keihin-us.com <---------- Is a great web site to help you out! Look on the Internet for a jetting chart for the tecates. Somebody might have one.

Old 05-17-2003, 11:12 PM
Trailblazer

Actually I have a Mikuni carb on there. Its a stock carb as far as I know but I think I may have found the problem. I looked down in my gas tank and screens that the gas goes through before it leaves the tank the longer of the 2 it had popped out of its hole and is just laying in the bottom of the tank.

Old 05-17-2003, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

It sounds more like your lean to me. Nailing the throttle and the bike sputtering then picking it up would be a sign of a rich condition but when it wants to stall out then it's not getting enough fuel. It's always better to be rich then jet down than to be lean and toast a motor. Go up on the jetting and then check your plugs and work your way back down. 2 stroke jetting can be fussy and a lean condition can be trouble in a hurry.

Old 05-18-2003, 12:10 AM
Trailblazer

Scotia650 is right. I ran my mouth before thinking about it. I've never had a used bike. I've only had new ones. Most of the time there always jetted for sea level from the factory. Pull the plug, go from there. I would put a 36-38mm pwk on it if it where mine. You can get a good used one for 75-100 bucks, maybe cheaper.

Old 05-18-2003, 01:05 AM
Trailblazer

Well I dont think it is going lean. For one the engine was jetted at a lower elevation and Im at 5100 feet above sea level so if anything it is probably rich. I pulled the plug today and it wasnt looking to bad it wasnt fouled but it was a little black so Im thinking it isnt leaning out. Like I said I found that the fuel strainer in the bottom of the gas tank for the Fuel On position had fell out and it was just laying in the bottom of the tank. The engine had never started doing this until today I mean it would rev fine and everything then today it started to sound like it was gonna cut off on me when I would rev it so I thought my KIPS valves could have been messed up so I did a little test on them and they seem to be working fine. I think that it may be that fuel strainer because it had worked its way loose from where it was supposed to be and was just laying in the tank.

Old 05-18-2003, 09:15 AM
Pro Rider

A damaged fuel strainer itself wouldn't cause a problem with carberation. The jets will flow the same amount of fuel regardless of the conditions of the strainer. I do think you have found the source of the problem though. I think that the damaged filter probably allowed some dirt to travel to the carb and this is probably messing with your needle and seat allowing more gas to bypass giving you an extreme rich condition. It is also possible that a piece of dirt is partially blocking fuel flow and causing a lean condition. Checking your plug color now is only telling you how the bike is running on the low and midrange circuits because your unable to get enough throttle to tell how the bike is running at wide open.

Anyway, I would remove the tank and carb. Toss the old gas and flush the tank well. Replace the damaged strainer, reinstall the tank and pour in some fresh fuel from a clean source. Then disassemble the carb and give it a good cleaning blowing out all the passages. Once your satisfied that everything is perfect then reassemble and install the carb. You should be good to go.

Try this and let me know how you make out.

Steve

Old 05-18-2003, 12:46 PM
Trailblazer

Alright before I ever road the quad the engine would rev all the way just fine no sputtering or anything last week I took it up the street really quick and it didnt sputter once everything seemed fine. Well yesterday I get it all together and I take it up the street and once I got into 2nd gear and tried to full throttle it started to go but then it sputtered and that was the end of trying to use full throttle yesterday. So you think that some trash could have made its way down into my carb? Well it doesnt have any fuel in the tank now and I guess that I can drain all the fuel out of the carb and see if I can find anything.

Old 05-18-2003, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

You should still fix the strainer and flush out the tank or you run the risk of picking up more crap in the carb.

Quick Reply: Tecate 4 wont go in full throttle?