Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

First Major Wipeout

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Major Wipeout

I hit a tree on the outside edge of a corner doing about 40mph, endo'd with my head hitting first, then my shoulder hitting the ground as the quad rolled over me, seperating my left shoulder and then rolling over facing in the opposite direction. I'm flying high on demerol right now and it still hurts when I even twitch it. I also have imprints all up the left side of my body, you can even make out the Thor logo. Good news is, the money I will save by not riding or fishing for the next 6 weeks will equal repairs plus dual exhaust. I bent every bracket that the fenders are attached to, as well as squashing the front bumper, and bending the bars. This little incident is just the excuse I needed for some upgrades. It was also a good reminder to wear full gear when I ride, I'd be a lot more cut up if I didn't have a chest protector and pants on.

Keep the rubber side down boys.

Leo
edit;I'm so stoned on demerol I can't even think!

Old 05-25-2003, 08:57 AM
Trailblazer

Hey Leo, take it easy. Hope you feel better soon. I know what it's like to crash and hurt yourself. I broke my back in Feb 02 on my snowmobile. It sucks.
Later, Chad

Old 05-25-2003, 11:46 AM
Range Rover

Everytime someone crashes and it happens to become a statistic, the fight against atv'ers become more legit in the eyes of legislators trying to impose laws and rules against us. Try riding with control, know your limits and if necessary take a course or buy a machine with less power. I make my living as a firefighter and have responded to calls involving atv accidents the after effect of these accidents are being used to impose more restrictions on this hobby, sport whatever you want to call it.

Old 05-25-2003, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

2lman,
Wow, that's too bad! Hope ya heal up good! I remember when I was 16 I had my Nova and the engine was crap so I held it to the floor till she blew,,, told Dad I had no idea what happened and soon after I had my new engine!!!!!My way to get to change things was a little less painful than yours but ends in the same way! You get to start building now! LOL

fireman650, you are right about that, we have had a couple broken bone at our personal riding area and when the nurses asked what happened well,, then the (DNR) departmant of natural resorces officer was called in to make a report and wanted to come inspect the 4 wheeler and,,,,,,,,,, now, when someone gets hurt, they are instructed that they are to tell the nurses or doctors that they fell outta their truck after loading their wheeler! No more visits from the DNR, one guy with a broken arm told the doctor he fell outta the truck, the doc told him he was full of it but that was his story and he stuck too it! LOL

Old 05-25-2003, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

Good luck on a speedy recovery Leo. As firefighter so insensitively mentioned, riding with control IS key, however I do understand that there is a fine line between 'fun' and control often times. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Enjoy your demerol, and get better!

Old 05-25-2003, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider

I was careful to be vague about what happened, and didn't mention where it happened. I was on a trail that I am very familiar with, and wasn't even going as fast as I usually do on it. I just got caught on the outside edge of the berm and hit a tree about 3" in diameter, hooked it with my right front tire enough to flip me over. I'm going to go inspect my bike later and see what all it needs, I gave it a quick look last night but all I noticed was all the brackets that support the fenders were bent, and the bars. I would like to mention again the importance of riding gear though, I'm sure I would be in worse shape if I hadn't been dressed properly. Thanks for your concern and well wishes.

Leo

Old 05-25-2003, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry 2lman, that sucks to have this happen so early in the summer with a new bike no less. Every time I read one of these stories it always happens when they are just tooling around, headed for the house, or going 50% of what they normally ride. Every time I think "Hey, just slow down and cruise back to the house" I take a deep breath and get nutted up again so I stay sharp until I get off. My dad always said "keep your wits about you, not on the ground behind you". Good luck on the recovery.

Old 05-27-2003, 12:10 AM
Range Rover

Fireman 650, you are a d1ck. I am 37 years old, have been riding ATVs of all type since my 1977 Honda ATC 90 I got when I was 12. I never repeat never got SCRATCHED in all those years until spring of '01. I had climbed a small hill on my 400ex, and couldnt see what the terrain looked like on the other side, so I elected to back down. Well, my bike got to the bottom of the hill just about a second after I did, and I would up with a crushed nose, infra orbital and sinuses. Handlebars through the goggle opening. It was a freak accident, just like 2lmans probably was. You come on here and talk down to a fellow rider that you dont even KNOW. "get a bike with less power, take a course"

P.S. 4 of my family members were killed that fall when a 18 wheeler jackknifed and crossed a median on a CITY street. He was speeding. Judge let him off. Maybe you should see about getting 18 wheelers banned for us. D1ck. PS dont waste your time responding. I aint subscribing to this thread. If the mods feel the need to edit or delete, I understand, but I dont normally EVER flame anybody.. but when a guy is hurting, to talk crap like that.. well it aint right.

2lman, been where you are.. it aint fun. At least you arent breathing through a tube like I was. Good job on wearing the gear. Bad enough to be sore, nice to not have roadrash all over to match it.