Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Just bought a 650!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 11:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a 650!

Ok guys, I'm new to the forum but always browsing for information. I was stictly a Honda man before purchasing my first Kawasaki Quad but I am not knew to the brand. I have owned several Kawasaki motorcycles in the past. Anyway, I picked up an 03 650 from a local dealer this weekend in the green. I have been very pleased thus far with all of the features. Something I didn't have with my Honda Rancher. One thing is for sure, This thing will RIP!!! All of my riding buddies have Ranchers and one Rincon. There are also a few Scramblers. I know the challenges will come. I don't expect to have any problems keeping up with the crowd!!! How did some of you guys treat your break in period with the 650? My dealer said the typical 10hrs/100 miles. Anyway, Happy with the Kawi. Kept the Honda for the wife. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-02-2003, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

motown5069

Congrats on new purchase. I'm sure you will love your new quad and I'm also positive that a challenge will be coming in the very near future [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] For some reason I don't seem to get them as often as I used to. LOL!!!! I guess people learn quickly not to mess with the P650 LOL!!!!

For the break in, I took it a easy for the first 500 km's. Opened her up a few times, but didn't keep the throttle wide open for a long period of time. I changed the engine oil at 200 km's and will be doing the first service this weekend which will include differential oil change, engine oil change, and belt ajustement since it's starting to squeal a bit on take off when in high gear. I'm just over 1200 km's now

Did you keep the stock tires, or did you replace them?

Old 06-02-2003, 11:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

I kept the stock tires. I will probably wear down the new ones before an upgrade. What is the low down on the "Black Spring" for the belt I keep hearing about?

Old 06-02-2003, 03:15 PM
Trailblazer

Good job on choosing the 650. I love mine.
I broke mine in like I ride it every day, HARD. No problems yet.
The black EPI spring, helps to eliminate belt wear and slippage. I put in the Dalton Industries clutch kit. It has a spring similar to the black EPI and a primary spring with a little higher engagement. The machine feels like it pulls harder in the low and mid with no loss at the top. Check it out at www.daltonindustries.com
I had Kenda Bearclaws put on before I picked it up. Dealer took my stock ones as trade in and I paid a few extra bucks for a far superior tire. Well worth it.
Enjoy your wheelie monster. It will pull the wheels up in high gear like nothing.

Old 06-02-2003, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

Motown, check out this website. You will find a lot of 650 tech tips, Q&A and such. You can even make the tool to install the spring yourself. Piece of cake, 30minutes.

Old 06-02-2003, 04:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the great info. I will surely check out the clutch kit. I'm coming off of a Rancher which I feel comfortable pulling a wheelie on but the 650 feels much bigger. I need some seat time. I can't believe a quad that big would wheelie that easily but then again the power is amazing. What about the 04??? 700 or not? I can't figure it out. I guess we will wait and see. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-02-2003, 04:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks nyroc. I will check it out and get back...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-02-2003, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

mototown-- Think of the "black spring" as the fountain of youth for that $100 drive belt. It DOES make the belt last longer . I am hoping to pull 3K miles out of my belt.
Get tires, the stockers WILL hurt you if you ride very agressively. Enjoy the new toy, aren't they awesome?

Old 06-02-2003, 04:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah, Sounds like I need to look into the spring. Awesome? YES!!! Like is said in an earlier post I know the challenges will come. My Honda riding buddies are really giving me a hard time for going against the "Family" as they like to call it. The Kawi will have to prove it's worth before they can accept it. I believe they will have to accept looking at it's behind first of all!!! This thing is a rocket...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-03-2003, 08:17 AM
Pro Rider

I have owned MANY Hondas. I appreciate Honda's reliablity and innovation, BUT, they do not come close(IMO) to this particular bike. Mine is extremely reliable. It hasn't let me down, so far(2K miles) The only other bike in this class that I would consider buying is....... 'an 03 P-650!!!

Quick Reply: Just bought a 650!