Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

kxf700 first ride

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 06:45 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kxf700 first ride

First ride impressions and question!

I took my new 700 out yesterday for the first time! I was amazed by the stability of the machine. I never felt once like I was going to be up on 2 wheels, like I did on my Lakota Sport. Not having to shift is really new to me, and I was really impressed with how smoothe the machine is! I guess I expected it to be more radical, maybe I was going faster than I thought! I have a 01 KX500 and it certainly is not as quick as that beast is! I am a desert rat and only ride in soft san or on dunes, so maybe with a set of paddles it will feel faster! The other thing I was amazed with is the engine braking, I never once used the brakes in three hours of riding.

I started the brake in with a series of short rides mostly under half throttle 15 to 20 minutes at a time only occasionally whacking it to full throttle, It was over 100 degree out in the desert. After the first hour or so of engine time I took it for a 20 mile run along some power lines real sandy with lots of whoops. I was about 10 minutes into the ride and when I backed off the throttle I started getting backfires. I then tried to maintain a more constant throttle setting for the rest of the ride, not much over 1/2. When I stopped I noticed at idle it was occasionally missing on one cylinder. After it cool down I road it again for another 15 to 20 minutes just boon docking sliding around mesquite bushes and chasing jack rabbits. Before I shut it off again there was no miss and everything sounded fine. So I went by the dealer today and talked to one of the mechanics about the miss and he said don't worry about it! So my question is should I worry about the backfiring? I am new to 4 strokes being an old MX dirtbiker and I know what to listen for when I am riding a 2 stroke.

Sorry for the long post hope know one goes to sleep reading it! (LOL)

Alan

Old 06-09-2003, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

Very cool olddirtrider! I don't know about your question, but it does sound like you had fun!
That's the name of this game for me, FUN. Nice pics man, your story is inspirational.
Keep the rubber down!
oh, do you ever catch any of those jakrabbits?

Old 06-10-2003, 10:55 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Ryanstones
Very cool olddirtrider! I don't know about your question, but it does sound like you had fun!
That's the name of this game for me, FUN. Nice pics man, your story is inspirational.
Keep the rubber down!
oh, do you ever catch any of those jakrabbits?
I only catch jacks on my KX500! (LOL)