Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

P650 poll - everyone please look!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P650 poll - everyone please look!

NOVAKAW... I don't mean to doubt this situation...just sitting around with some guys discussing this situation... what we came up with is this, see if it makes sense... the crank case vent goes straight into the filter box, less than inches from the velocity stacks for the carbs, when the crankcase cools down it's drawing the gas vapor laden air out of the filterbox... the guys that are shutting thier gas off after riding are still getting the smell in thier oil as well...if any kind of real quantity of gas was getting into the oil, as sensitive as these are to over filling the oil, it would be pukeing oil into the filter box all the time... we talked about other ways the gas could get into the oil..i.e. scavenging from the other cylender etc. but in all other ways, it comes down to the fact that if liquid gasoline was getting into the oil, at any kind of concentration level that would break the oil down prematurely, the engine would be pukeing oil... I don't know at what if any level the gas vapors could or would break down the oil... but I've got over 1000 hard miles on my quad & change oil every spring & fall weather it needs it or not, & as far as I know my engine is mechanically sound... thats the best I can explain it, that makes sense to me, what do you think ???? Have A Good One ...WAM

Old 06-11-2003, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

i got a slight smell of gas in my oil too

Old 06-11-2003, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider

Well I guess I am the odd man out.I have approx 180 miles on my oil and I cannot smell gas in it.I am very careful about shutting the gas off.I also have to give just a touch of throttle when starting.I wonder why there is a shutoff when it's not a gravity fed system.Does it hold that much pressure after it's shut off?
02 650 camo

Old 06-11-2003, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider

Scott

Just came in from checking my oil. I don't have any gas smell in my oil that I could tell. It smelled like regular oil. I got a really good smell cause it was dark in the shed and I hit the dip stick on my nose LOL!!! Now keep in mind that I only have 30 km's since my last oil change. I also religiously shut the fuel off when the bike is not in use so maybe this helps a bit. I'll keep an eye on it once I get more miles on the new oil. We are going on a run this weekend so it should be a good test.

Dan

Old 06-11-2003, 10:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

When I brought mine home from the dealership last march, mine had the choke sticking problem and was fouling spark plugs like crazy. After several trips to the dealership I finally convinced them to replace the cable and upgrade to the KLR dirt bike springs like I had heard about on this forum! During that entire time the oil had a strong gas smell to it. I just checked tonight and no gas smell. I always shut the valve off when it is stopped for more than several minutes.

Old 06-11-2003, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

Mine used to have the gas in the oil,, fouled rear plug all the time. Changed the choke spings three weeks
ago ... and have not been turning off the gas valve........and it hasn't done it since.

Old 06-11-2003, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

Mine does not smell like gas...thank god

Andy

Old 06-11-2003, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

You have to give the 650 a little gas to start it due to the compression release. The ngine just has to turn a bit faster than the starter cranks it before the compression will come up. If it wasn't like that, it wouldn't be a compression release. It's job is to make it easier to crank or pull the pull start. Some bikes the compression release goes away while you crank it and they just start without any throttle.

FYI, mine has no gas smell in the oil, mine did fuel lock once, but only once. It is much more likely to do it with a low tank.

I am sure some of you guys have gas leaking into the cyl, and from there into the crankcase. But I bet a lot of us never see it. There is a check valve in the tank breather lines somewhere that we can take out and get rid of this issue. Turning the gas valve off should pretty much stop it too.

I don't fully understand how the gas keep running in yet, but I know it can.

Old 06-11-2003, 11:57 PM
Trailblazer

MINE HAS THIS PROBLEM AND I ALLWAYS TURN OFF MY GAS.
I HAVE POSTED ON THIS HERE BEFORE. KAWI SAID MY 03 650 WAS NOT AFFECTED BY THE CRUDDY CHOKE
CABLE BUT THE GAS SMELL IS THERE.I CHANGED MY OIL 3 TIMES IN 360 MILES BECAUSE OF WORRY OVER
GAS IN THE CRANK CASE[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 06-12-2003, 12:34 AM
Range Rover

Over 1500 (hard) miles - no gas in oil. Better check your carbs/chokes.

Quick Reply: P650 poll - everyone please look!