Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

P650 poll - everyone please look!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P650 poll - everyone please look!

MIne used to have smelly oil as well but I put in a breather tube from the fuel tank winding it through the frame comeing up by the seat thereby releiveing any pressure causes by check valve or carbs letting fuel seap past. Nyroc is correct about the excessive turning of the engine on start because of the decompression system valve. Putting in a vent resolved the problem for me.

Old 06-12-2003, 02:03 AM
Trailblazer

I have over 2200km's on my bike and i have never turn the gas valve off
and i have no smell of gas nor do i have gas in the oil

Old 06-12-2003, 02:29 AM
Range Rover

I haven't noticed a gas smell in mine but I can offer some advice. Gas and oil are both hydrocarbons but gas is less dense. If you let your gas "settle out" for a few hours after you chnage the oil they should separate. The person who posted about the fumes going thru the airbox had a good point as well. I doubt that there is a gas/oil problem--where would the fuel be introduced?

Old 06-12-2003, 02:58 AM
Pro Rider

To every body who says their oil smells like gas: What is your oil level? If you are getting any "signifigant" amount of gas in there, when you check your oil level it should read high. it is normal for some engines to allow gas vapors into the oil/crankcase thus giving it a gas smell. If you change your oil, note where it is on the dipstick and monitor it. If it stays consistant (remember it expands hot[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] and you have a slight gas smell, I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 06-12-2003, 08:06 AM
Pro Rider

Scott,

No gas smell from my bike or the two other 650's that I ride with.

Steve

Old 06-12-2003, 08:17 AM
Pro Rider

NovaKaw650, I wonder if you would smell gas in my oil? My oil stinks, but it isn't gasoline. Go smell your car's oil.

Gas has a higher boiling point than water (for the most part). So, if anyone got gas in their oil once, I do not believe the "Smell" would be gone by just riding. I dunno for sure, I never had gas in my oil. If you change it, there is still going to be a residual, maybe you could still smell that.

I hate to be skeptical, but I believe if you turn the gas valve off I think you would not get any more gas in the crankcase ever again. Whatever small amount of gas dribbled out, would run down but never make it past the rings - it would probably evaporate before hitting the oil.

I wouldn't mind being wrong on this. Maybe we all need Alltoy's vent.

Old 06-12-2003, 08:50 AM
Pro Rider

I don't have mine right now to check but this is what I'm aware of:
1. Yes sometimes the smell of gas is stronger than other times in my oil.
2. I use the motul oil and when the smell of gas is there it is not strong.
3. I change my oil often and the motul quality I feel can support this.
4. I don't give it hardly any gas when mine has been previously going to start.
5. I never shut my fuel line off.
6. Personally I think this was a good spot to look for "mine problem" but I don't feel my oil was the problem.
7. I don't know if other people seen this but I find even with out changing the oil the smell of gas can dissappear.
8. My plans are to get my oill inspected by a lab in dartmouth when I get mine up and running.
9. MOST IMPORTANT - I use my primer ALOT! I was not aware of this vent thing until now.

(you can see I already spent alot of time thinking trying to find what's gone wrong and when I find it you will be the first to know!)

Old 06-12-2003, 09:17 AM
Pro Rider

As I'm in the process of finishing up some major mods on my quad, 2 days ago, I removed the 2 ( filter & check valve ) off of my fuel tank vent line, & ran an unrestricted vent line up into my rear rack framework ( 18" over my seat height ) ( I did this, as I suspected that under hard high speed riding, I could be pulling gas out of the tank faster than the system was letting air in, witnessed by huge vacume upon opening the gas cap, after hard riding )... after talking about this yesterday, as listed in my previous post, I removed the crank case vent from the filter box as well, & routed it similarly to the gas tank vent... I'm sure that this should take care of all the problems listed in this thread... Have A Good One...WAM

Old 06-12-2003, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider

No gas smell in my oil, I don't turn off my fuel either.

Old 06-12-2003, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider

NovaKaw/Scott - There are a few things to note. As Nyroc mentioned, I also believe the compression release system is why you have to crack the throttle to start.

As far as fuel dilution(proper term) of your oil is concerned, there is an easy way to find out for sure, rather than having a bunch of people out smelling their dipsticks. Ride out till your nomal oil change interval, take a sample and send it off. I have my oil analyzed every time on my diesel vehicles and it's most informative. You would simply see your exact amount of fuel dilution among other things(wear metals, soot, oil additives). Oil analysis kits are only $15. You buy the kit, they send you the little sample bottle and a return mailing box. All you do is let the oil drain a second or two, and take the sample. Tighten the cap and mail it off. Easy.

You shouldn't be getting fuel in your oil, period. If you are, air/fuel settings could be off, as well as a few other things.

You can get oil analysis kits for cars/autos/diffs/whatever - at oilguard dot com, amsoil dot com, avlube dot com, etc. Oilguard and avlube seem to have the highest turnaround. FYI avlube has a 15 and 18 dollar test, do the 15. TBN (total base number) is only really applicable to diesel and auto oil analyses. Good luck!

Dave

P.S. In a few hundred miles, I'm going to sample the oil on my p650, already have the kits. It would sure be nice to compare results to see if our engines are wearing comparably, air filters are working well or not, etc.

Quick Reply: P650 poll - everyone please look!