Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

P650 poll - everyone please look!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P650 poll - everyone please look!

An easy question - I need everyone to pull the dipstick to see if they can smell gas in the oil. Please post whether it's yes or no.
The reason is as follows: most people are aware that when restarting a hot 650, you need to give it a little throttle because the engine seems slightly flooded. I believe that the slight flooding condition may be diluting the oil with gas, thus causing accelerated engine wear (re: kawi650, etc.). Last week I changed my oil and filter (again!) and drove around for 20 minutes - no gasoline smell. Later that day a friend and I went for a casual ride of about 30 miles with lots of stops, shutdowns, and restarts. At the end of the day there was a strong gas smell in the oil again! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] And yes, the choke springs are working and I shut off the fuel valve when the machine is on the truck. I don't know if the heat creates pressure in the fuel tank that, in turn, overpowers the inlet needles, or if something happens in the carb itself.
After I get the results of the poll I will call the Kawie tech rep and see what he says about it. If he says this is normal and that we need to shut off the fuel anytime we're stopped, Kawie should supply us with a vacuum or electrical shutoff valve that would close automatically.

So far I checked my own machine, one used 650 at the dealer and one customer's 650 at the dealer - all three have gas in the oil! How about the rest of you? Thanks alot. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-11-2003, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider

Scott

I'll check tonight when I get home and I'll let you know the result. I only have abut 15km's since my last oil change. I'm interested to see the results.

Dan

Old 06-11-2003, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, we have noticed it for some time now. we try to change oil often when pulling.

Old 06-11-2003, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider

I took my '03 P650 out for a quick run last night. I checked the oil before I left and thought it smelled "funny". I did not put 2 and 2 together, but after reading your post I realize that I have gas in the oil and I just changed it less than 40 miles ago!

Old 06-11-2003, 03:01 PM
Pro Rider

Keep 'em coming, positive or negative!

Old 06-11-2003, 03:09 PM
Range Rover

Yep! My oil always smells of gas. I change the oil often and ALWAYS shut off the fuel every time I shut down the machine. Even if it is only a couple of minute pit stop. Fuel tank always has pressure. Does the vent only suck and not blow?

Old 06-11-2003, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider

Yes novakaw650, I noticed that when it was brand new with about 3hours on it, I asked the head mechanic and he said it was normal. He said shutting off the fuel will help but it will still get in there. I agree with you though, normal or not (I dont like it), and this should without a doubt cause faster engine wear for multiple reasons.

Old 06-11-2003, 05:16 PM
Trailblazer

Yes mine has a bit of a gas smell to it also.

Old 06-11-2003, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider

Hey guys
When my bike was new it flooded all the time , cured problem by unhooking the chokes. I never shut of my fuel, while stopping or transporting my bike , when parked in my yard it gets noon day sun ,and i never get fuel in my oil. i still believe it is a problem of overfueling .I knew that fuel in the oil washes down the cylinder walls and creates premature wear .I wonder if this so called normal condition will be covered by warrenty from kawasaki when the bearings get bad or compression drops." I dont think so"..

Old 06-11-2003, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider

my oil smells like gas in it to. I turn the carb off when it sits over night. Does anyone think that running it for like 2-3 hrs would burn the gas out of the oil?
thanks

Quick Reply: P650 poll - everyone please look!