Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Belt Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2003, 11:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt Help Please!

i have a 03 650, and i have about 700 miles and just over 90 hours. i have already repleced one belt and now the one i have in is already sliping. i have the black spring, and i am just about fed up with the belt. i really dont want to get the belt worked on every few hundred miles. what do i need to do to get the belt from slipping? i know my friend had a 650 and never had belt problems. i really need some help on this one.
Thanks for you help!

Old 06-14-2003, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider

When you replaced the belt did you remove any shims? Was the tolerance correct? Do you do much real heavy pulling?

Old 06-15-2003, 12:02 AM
Trailblazer

When the belt was replaced the dealer did the work. i think the dealer really sucks, i have been fed up with those guys a time or two. you would imagine they checked the deflection, it was running great though until tonight when the belt started to slip a little. no i really dont do much pulling, and i use low when ever i can.

Old 06-15-2003, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider

It is loose. If there is one thing that we have all said a hundred thousand times is that a loose belt makes it squeak at takeoff.

Doesn't matter if it is new or not. Doesn't matter if you put the black spring in or not.

You have to TIGHTEN it to the LOW end of the spec (and add the black spring) in order to get a good long life out of it. If you don't do this when the belt is new, you will quickly wear the new one out. Sheaves wear a lot faster with a loose belt too.

Tighten the crap out of it. IF you can't because the shims are already out, then this new belt is worn out too. Consider getting a 360 belt if you can't tighten a new 650 one enough.

It won't wear at all if it is tight. Mine was so tight it squealed at idle 800 miles ago when I put it in. It still does it. However, it yanks really hard and doesn't even dream of slipping, not even when I am yanking on a stuck pickup truck. It definitely is going to last a long, long time.

Let me tighten your belt down, but give me the money you save by not having to buy as many belts.

Old 06-15-2003, 12:07 AM
Trailblazer

I am going to have a new dealer do some work on it this time. should i tell them to take all the shims out, i think i only have one in. and how bad is the squeal? does it squeal when you ride?
thanks

Old 06-15-2003, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

You might be better off doing it yourself, click on NYROCs knowledge base for directions, at least then you know it will be right. Some dealers like you coming back again and again, means more money, they will tighten just enough to stop the squeek then in a month you need to go back.

Old 06-15-2003, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

it sqeaks faintly at idle when in gear. The sqeak disappears the instant I hit the gas, even the slightest gas and it is gone. This causes it to shift a little smoother too, the gear selector never hangs between gears.

It squeaked bad 800 miles ago, in fact, when I forst put that belt on, it pulled at idle. One good ride loosened it up slightly, but it still squealed at idle noticeably at first. Now, 800 mile later, it is a faint sqeal. Some days it doesn't squeal anymore, or is too faint to notice.

But, it really seriously works well this tight. It make take a good 2000 miles before it gets loose and slips at takeoff like your is.

I can't tighten it anymore. I took all the shims out. However, I bet a new belt would be mighty tight again.

Old 06-15-2003, 12:12 AM
Trailblazer

i have done it once before it took me a long time and i dont really have the right setup to do it.
nyroc do you run any shims?

Old 06-15-2003, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

No shims. Mighty tight belt.

If you take all the shims out and it grabs slightly at idle, don't panic, just ride it around for a couple hours and then see if it is still too tight.

If it grabs bad, put a thin shim in.

Old 06-15-2003, 12:20 AM
Trailblazer

nyroc in the event that i have to get another new belt should i run any shims? and should i get the 360 or the 650 belt?
thanks

Quick Reply: Belt Help Please!