Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

V700 not impressed

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 01:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V700 not impressed

alltoys, hows that project you were working on coming along? Did you get a chance to look at the alternative route I was talking about? Hope things are going well for you.

Old 07-02-2003, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider

Alltoys, is there somewhere you can point me to to read about ignition? I understand the clutching, I am waiting for the K&N filters and my own airbox mod before I start changing that.

I would like to learn more about the ignition though, a push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

TIA, Leo

Old 07-02-2003, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

Here is the problem with trying to build a cdi that will work for the 650 or 700 for that matter. All the ignition after market companys use cam timeing to advance or retard timeing. They can install a set of weights that best work for the application that will be used, like racing, rock crawling or just general playing around. Since our cdi takes its readings from the crank the cdi mathematically produces the timeing curves for our system. It is very difficult to over clock the cdi without doing eriputable damage mostly because the chip is a dedicated component that can not be broke into. The next problem is to find another machine that has the same fireing dimensions as in 90 degrees. Most other machines fire at 45 and 60 degrees so they are not compatible with our 650 or 700. I am working on another possibility but it involves cutting holes the case and custom fitting after market components not designed to work with our 90 degree V. This is not childs play and many have fallen at the side of the road. It would in theory be easier to build a new cdi here in lies the problem with this theory. A new cdi built by a third party company would be the size of very big lunch box and where would we hide that monster not to mention the wireing. I hope you can see the problem with designing a cdi, in the same note I noticed on the weekend that the Grizz 660 also has the same inherant problem as they have the vertually have the same cdi from the same company in their machine. Good luck Grizz 660 owners.

If everything works the way i want it to.......cross your fingers. The ignition I am working on will fit any machine whether it be 1 cylinder or 2 cylinder and different fireing degrees.