Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

V700 not impressed

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V700 not impressed

I had the chance to go to a mud race this weekend had a great time. While I was there I with some of my friends did some racing the 1/8 mile kind of stuff. There was a V700, Predator 500, Raptor 660 all were stock except my 650 and the Raptor 660 it was piped, jetted with intake mods as well. The main result was the 700 sucks. I don't like to admit it because I rode the machine before most people had the chance to even see one. I liked it in the preliminary runs but compared to the other machines not even close.
We ran 10 races in a straight line here is the results. I have to mention I have an updated ignition witch I did not tell the others about only because they would not race me with my blower installed.
V700 came constantly 2 - 3 quad lengths behind and was the slowest of the bunch. Predator 500 depending how he got the holeshot was within 1/2 bike length or 1 bike length from the lead very impressive. The Raptor and my 650 traded first place for the entire 10 race sessions.
About the Predator 500, it is one nice piece of machinery. It is predictable it goes where you want it and the handling is superb. The V700 well, Kawi needs to go back to school on this one. For a 700cc machine it lacks poorly in every area as far as I am concerned. It is heavy for woods riding, it is good thing it has reverse because if you are on the power in the corner there better not be a tree close as you are going to find it. The Raptor I felt for at least woods riding was slightly better but it felt top heavy and I did not like the close the gearing between 2,3, and 4th just my observation. The quad that shined for overall racing and general messing around was the Predator, if had reverse it would be the ultimate quad. Very lite, maneuverable you can point it where you want to go and it goes in that direction. The power is outstanding and it was a totally stock unit
It is going to take a lot of modifying to get the 700 up to speck this is my opinion. I know I am going to get dumped on but you V700 owners realize there is good deal of work to be done to get into world class racer. For the average fellow wanting to mess around I like the idea of not having to change gears. For the price of aftermarket still is it really worth dumping $5,000 or more trying to get this quad up to par. When I first rode the 700 I liked it although now that I have had the chance to compare machines I would have to modify some key areas to keep my interest in the V700.

Old 06-15-2003, 10:57 PM
Range Rover

Alltoys I am very sad to hear your feelings about the 700, speed is important to many of us not all however. What I mean here is the 700 if the conditions, traction is right this quad will get out of the gate faster than any other at least the first 100 to 150 feet. Yes other quads will catch up and slightly pull away this I agree with, however to say that it will take $5000 to make this quad up to par? What are you talking about for $5000 I can buy a 5.0 Ford motor and have it installed and blow the plastic off any Predator. (would be a real heavy quad then though ha ha) No really Alltoys soory you didn't like this quad, I love this quad, the great thing is that the quad industryt makes so many different quads that way we all can pick and choose which sootes our own needs best. When that CDI comes out I know that all of our 700 owners out there will be waiting for the first report back on how good it is, I am pretty sure that it will definitely keep the Predator in it's dust once installed, probably, hopefullly will cost less than $5000.
Everyone has a right to their own opinions Alltoys.

Old 06-15-2003, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

I wrote and big damn reply and its gone....grrr. What I said was:

1. dump the same amount of mods that the raptor had into the V
2. the modulator (which we know is coming) will provide the best possible bang for the buck and still be way under the $$ of mods the raptor has.
3.if you dumped the same amount of $$ that the raptor had into the V, the V will be fast.
4. give all machines the same size of tires, things willl change if they all have 22" 4ply tires.

I'm thinking of getting a V-Force soon, I think it will work well for me. Going from a Z-400 to a V, when I drive my Praire after my Z it feels slow but I think the V will feel fast. I need to take a test drive.

Old 06-15-2003, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

Hi Alltoys, are you saying that you have a Prairie 650 and it was in the top two quads there for all out speed? And the KFX700 was not? Now I am really confused since the 650 should be heavier due to the 4WD option, and the 700 should be lighter and have more power. How does the 650 handle on trails? Pretty heavy quad to fling around on trails at full speed I would think.... interested in your response as I am shopping for a new quad and the 700 was one on my short list.

Old 06-15-2003, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

hehe, Alltoys's P650 is no ordinary P650. He has lots of mods but I don't know what mods he all ran in the drag though. He did say he took off his blower, if that is any indication on how crazy he is....lol.

Old 06-15-2003, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

brewster 2003,

Alltoys 650 is blown to the nuts so to speak. Alltoys could answer this better but i belive he has or had something like 1500 hrs into working on it. To tell ya the truth i am quite shocked the raptor even gave him a run for his money.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

To make a long story short if you have lots of time on your hands as alltoys seems to have then get a prairie 700 (the 650's are gonna be history soon) and blow it. (supe it out totally)

I can say this though...lb for lb the prairie 650 is one amasing machine(i belive a lot of people would agree with me on that.) It will power slide in the corners as a v force does, handles great on trails... assumeing that you have decent tires on.

If your looking for a sports bike get the v 700... if your looking for an all around bike check out the new 700 prairie... i would say look at a 650 prairie but we are being replaced by the newer biger better version. (Boy o boy thats an opinion if i've ever read one!!!!!!!!) No way i would trade my 650 in on a 700 theres just no way..... And yes i am that satisified with my 2003 650 prairie.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 06-15-2003, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

The raptor was close only because the blower was not on! If it was on it would destroy them, he said they would not race him with the blower on and we don't know what mods he had on since he had to put a different motor into the frame a while back.

Old 06-15-2003, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

The V Force is not made for drag racing. That fastest machine in a straight line seems to be the most important consideration for many people in this forum. The V was designed to be fast in GNCC racing, not drag racing. Is it fast? Yes! Is it going to beat a Banshee or a Raptor in a straight line? No.

The V Force may not have impressed you for your style of riding, but for others it was an unmet niche in the marketplace. I applaud Kawasaki for branching out and creating a new segment. It wasn't too long ago that everyone thought Polaris was bad because of auto trannies and floorboards. Now every one of the manufacturers is building those same features.

Old 06-15-2003, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

Oh one last thing...

Late at night in the forest's of canada a normal guy named gary turns into alltoys and rides his prairie 650 deep into the night(kinda like bat man in the bat mobile only better!!)
oh yea and he is faster than a speeding super man, can blow dirt and dust all over anyone with one fast stroke of his mighty thumb... and when his blower engages he can fly!!

But this is only rumors i've heard around the camp fire... kinda like big foot.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

I wonder if big foot and him are like buds or something. Ha ha ha ha LOL.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-15-2003, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

thanks 2003650 for shedding some light on the subject .... Now I am not so confused [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Mayber I will take a closer look at the Prairie 700. How does it handle in the woods? Can it do wheelies?

Where can mods be purchased for this machine?

Quick Reply: V700 not impressed