Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Does this make me a freak?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 11:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does this make me a freak?

I just have to get this off of my chest. If I'm being too @nal please someone set me straight.

I've got a huge pet peave with the motorsports world. I cringe everytime I hear someone mention the word "Motor" when talking about an internal combustion engine. Heck even the Nascar guys talk about tuning their motor. No your not guys your tunning your "Engine," unless of course their windsheild wiper motor is defunct. My grandfather instilled this information into my mind years ago and I can't help but regurgitate it for you all:

Engine - a device which converts POTENTIAL ENERGY stored in a fuel, into motion, ie Internal Combustion Engine, Steam Engine

Motor - a device which converts KINETIC ENERGY into motion, ie Electric Motor (movement of ions), Hydralic Motor (movement of fluids)

I'm not posting this to rag on anyone here but it is my pet peave. Tell me guys am I taking this too far? Do I need counselling? What do you think?

By the way I know the use of the aforementioned word "Motorsports" is very ironic................

Old 06-23-2003, 11:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

..........what?..............who cares?

Old 06-23-2003, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

Um, yeah, get off the hoppity horse. No to be rude, but people say things in different ways every day. Sometimes the way they say it makes sense to them and everyone they talk to. All languages have been evolving this way.

To be honest, the English teachers that are teaching engine vs motor useage like you have stated are loosing the battle and are being very stupid. I refuse to allow only english teachers the right to control the course of the language. They study rules, but what prevents the population as a whole from changing them. It isn't wrong, that is how lanugages evolve.

Merrian webster actually lists the internal combustion engine AHEAD of the electrical one (in 2):

1 : one that imparts motion; specifically : PRIME MOVER
2 : any of various power units that develop energy or impart motion: as a : a small compact engine b : INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE; especially : a gasoline engine c : a rotating machine that transforms electrical energy into mechanical energy
3 : MOTOR VEHICLE; especially : AUTOMOBILE

Old 06-23-2003, 11:32 PM
Trailblazer

Let me see Prison Guard = English Teacher.... no I can't see the conection............

You guys are right, I guess I am in need of some counselling. I'll use engine and you guys can call it what ever you like.

Old 06-23-2003, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know where you came up with prison guard, I have to assume that is what you do. If so, can you put in a good word for me where you work? Kidding, I wouldn't fit in.

I spoke about the english teacher stuff because some of them are the most likely to go around stopping everyone and telling them how they should say it and I don't like it. there is a little english teacher in most of us, and we go around correcting kids and sometimes adults.

When I started using this forum, I was on a vocabulary crusade too. I had to let it go. People are here to talk quads and not to learn english.

However, sometimes people say stuff that is not commonly used, and is possibly downright wrong. If that is the case, then we should jump all over them.

Old 06-23-2003, 11:46 PM
Trailblazer

That's what I expected to hear NYROC. I gotta respect someone with as much experience as you. Thanx for setting me straight.

P.S. Penitentiary life blows goats, both sides of the wall..............

Old 06-24-2003, 12:39 AM
Range Rover

Maybe I am being a bit @nal, but I have yet to see a Nascar stock car with windshield wipers.