Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

do my valves need retiming (mojave)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 03:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do my valves need retiming (mojave)

it all started after doing some airbox modifications. the air box is still stock though so its not the air system. when taking it apart after finding that it woulndnt start i found that the air box popoed off the carb while riding. half way that is. yes dust could get in. took the carb apart the jets are clean and everythings okay. it is almost impossible to start. have to push start it for like 20 m then once started it wont idle properly but once its warmed up after a good ride it idels fine and startes okay. once it cools down though like after half a day same thing. I read that a guy had the same problem with his mojave and it was the valves. is this true.

ps. for those that really hate taking the head plastic off the motor to unscrew th sunken spark plug on there prairie or mojave you can get a special wrench from kawi now. it takes about a week to come in though.

Old 06-25-2003, 07:07 PM
Range Rover

Where can I find out about this special spark plug wrench?? Where do I order it?? I didn't see anything on Kawasaki's website.

Thanks!!

Old 06-26-2003, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

Ya man fill us in on thsi wrench! I WANT ONE BAD
and yes it coul dbe your vales! Take it to a biek shop! and get them to set them! Chage you about 25$
BUT one good tip take your plastic off first! it will save you about an hours labour!

Old 06-26-2003, 04:06 PM
Range Rover

what do you guys find so difficult about takeing off the spark plug, a regular spark plug wrench takes it off without a problem, also i sorta have an idea for quick release fenders, atleast thats what i call it, basically, my gas tank isnt bolted down i have no mud guards or any thing, unde my hood all that holds the front fender to the frame is the bracket with the 2 bolts, my rear fenders are held on by those 2 straps only, the ones that wrap around the frame bar. i took out all the nuts to the seat in the back and at any given time i can take both fenders off in les than 2 minutes, they hold up fine too, coming down from a 10 foot jump they stay on as if they were bolted dwon tight. when i do take my back fender off the bracket is still on the frame as is the manual holder and the bolts by the exhaust pipe, worked good for me, hope this might helop you guys out because i hated takeing off all the fenders too

Old 06-26-2003, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider

a normal spark plug wrench does not fit because the plug is sunken down in the head in a hole where a socket or wrench is to thick to fit down. The special socket has a really thin wall so it will fit . i just ordered the socket from the kawi dealer in my town. the guy working at another bike shop new about it but didnt have one.

Old 06-27-2003, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

come on does anybody now fore sure if this sounds like the timing of the valves are off

Old 06-27-2003, 08:34 PM
Trailblazer

The clue with this problem is that it started after messing around with the airbox. The valves probably did not suddenly become a problem if it ran fine before the airbox mods. My guess is that it is running too lean for some reason and most likely the airbox is not back together properly and is allowing more airflow in than stock. This would cause a lean mixture with too much air. The reason it runs well after warm up is that a cold engine needs a richer mixture (the reason for the choke / enricher) making the problem worse when cold. The P-650 is very cold blooded to start with and if too much air is coming in, the problem gets worse. Look carefully at the way the airbox is installed and the top cover is fitting for any leaks or problems and I think you will have you cold start problem solved.

Old 06-27-2003, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your valve adjustment. It's common for the valves in the Mo to sink into the seats. When they do this they don't seal. Eventully you will need a valve job and new valves.

As for the sparkplug I use either the stock tool that came in my tool kit or a deep Craftsman socket, a 3 inch extension and a rachet.

No need to remove the plastic to change the plug.

Old 06-28-2003, 09:33 AM
Range Rover

Well you dont need your valves retimed but you do need to adjust the clearances, first you do have to take off all the plastics and then take off the valve cover head peice, it may seem like a tight fit, and it is, but it comes off out the left side of the frame. next you have to put the engine at top dead center for the compression stroke. one way to do this is to open up the plastic hole on the stator cover, the one in the middle, find a socket to fit that and turn clockwise , as you turn clockwise watch the camshaft sprockets from the left side and when both the dots on both of the cam sprockets line up onto the head base then you are at top dead center. the dots should be almost right at the base of the head as you look at it level from the side, if in doubt take of the uper smaller plastic hole thats on the stator cover and turn until you reach the T mark and thats top dead center. now at top dead center you are goign to need a feeler gauge first unlock the lock nuts at the top of the rocker arm right
above the valve spring. when you have this untightened then you can take a flat head and turn the bolt out a little bit, once it is loosened then get a feeler gauge and get the .008 one, then slide it in between the rocker arm and the top of the valve and slide it back and forth as you tighten down the bolt with your flathead , when the sliding of the feeler gauge gets a little snug THEN you have to pull the gauge out and put a wrench of the proper size over the locknut and tighten it BUT you jave to make sure that the bolt that you turned with the flathead does not turn for this will make the valves stick. you need tohold the bolt with the flathead as you turn the locknut tight with the wrench. do this for all of the valves and then tighten them to specifications which i have no idea what they are off the top of my head. for me this doesnt take very long but ive done it so many times. at first it took me a while, so if you decided to do it yourself and get stuck just post it on here and ill try my best to
help, also this little adjustment can make the differance of starting and not starting because if the valves are parcially closed then your engine wont start, dont ask me why this happens ive been trying to figure it out myself, the valves just seem to close whenever they feel like it, especially in the winter, that being said good luck, also i doubt the valves have sunken in but you never know

Old 06-29-2003, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider

well im pretty sure its not the running lean problem because the airbox mod i did was patch a hole that was punches in it.

Quick Reply: do my valves need retiming (mojave)