Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

??????? PENLAND CAMS FOR THE 650 PRAIRIE

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 12:21 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ??????? PENLAND CAMS FOR THE 650 PRAIRIE

I WAS WONDERING HOW BIG OF A POWER INCREASE I WOULD GET WITH THESE CAMS? DO THEY GIVE LOW OR TOP END POWER? ARE THEY WORTH THE MONEY? PLEASE HELP. THANKS.

Old 07-01-2003, 12:05 PM
Trailblazer

Muddin650,

Looks like I am doing a very simular mod as you. I have Penlands springs and full exhaust sitting in my gurage. I'm also thinking about the cam shaft, but have not decided. I won't be back to the states for a few months so I can't wait to get everything installed. How do you like the exhaust?

Old 07-01-2003, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider

Penland's cams are similar to the web cam. They give mostly low end and midrange.

DG had a cam ground that was more mid to high rpm. I may talk to him about getting on the list for the next run.

Either grind is better than what we have.

Mike Penland is a better source, since he offers so much help and advice.

Old 07-01-2003, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

Here is a little information that you may find interesting.

Penlands Cams are not Penlands Cams at all they were not designed by him nor did he have any input into the grind for them. They were designed by TC Racing out of New York for the purpose of running with an auto clutch where they would develop low end torque with the addition of higher compression (note higher compression). Without higher compression they will not help your quad actually there may be a slight decrease in power as they stay open to long alowing the loss of compression.

Web cams have the permission of PBR to produce the cams but you will not see a remarkable increase in power with these cams on a stock engine. If you are into pulling your motor apart for the fun of it and spending money with the soul purpose of throwing money away then these cams are for you. I have raced people with these cams and there is virtually no difference from stock.

Old 07-01-2003, 11:45 PM
Trailblazer

THANKS ALOT ALLTOYS, THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED TO KNOW. IF ANYONE KNOWS ABOUT THESE ENGINES YOU SHOULD, I REALLY APPRECIATE THE INFO.. THANKS...

Old 07-02-2003, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider

I have spoke with Alltoys about the Penland cams because I have them and I hate to say it but I would never waste the money to do it! I have raced and been smoked outta the hole by stock 03 Prairies! We however have not lost any of the harescramble races we've been in! That is due to the rider tho, not the cams!

Old 07-02-2003, 09:10 AM
Trailblazer

So you didn't get any extra power out of Penland's Cams, Prariewrench? I've read somewhere that they were a huge benifit. I'm trying to remember where though. I think it was the P650 Project on ATV News. Maybe they did have the higher compression as Alltoys was saying. Guess you sholdn't believe everything you read. How would you get the higher compression Alltoys? I'm guessing it would involve replacing the valve springs. Which I think, would be way more indepth of a mod than I would be willing to do right now. How difficult would it be?

Thanks for the info guys, I guess I can put the money into something else. I am over seas right now, but I have a bunch of parts sitting in my gaurage waiting to be installed. I can't wait to get back and try them out. This is what I have ordered over the past 7 months I have been away:

Penland full exhaust
Twin Air Filters
DG Snorkel
DG Holeshot (top end when avail)
Richocet full skid plate
ITP C series rims and ATR's
Quad Boss, Daytona red front trunk (will actually go on ther rear, I don't need much space)
Penland Primary Clutch Spring
Progressive Front Springs

Pluss I'll drill some holes in the air box. I'm thinking about getting the adjustable inserts that TRX450 posted about on another thread, but they seam a little expensive to me. $60 for three. I have seen other filter inserts, (non adjustable) but have not been able to find them. It seams that it would be easy to find something to block them with rather than spend $60 on the adjustable ones. And of course re-jet. Any suggestions for jetting with the above mods at 5000 and above?

Any other sugestiongs for mods?

Old 07-02-2003, 11:27 PM
Trailblazer

guys,

I am not here to dispute anyone's opinion, but I have Penland Cams and I feel they have been a big benefit in low and mid range power. I consistently pull a stock raptor up to around 50-55 mph before being passed!

Old 07-02-2003, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

Rutwad,
You should feel lucky with your cams as I have been with other people that have Pen Cams I can roost them on demand they are not much better than stock from what I have experienced. You are the exception!!

Old 07-03-2003, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

Rutwad,
Ask Mastrblastr and Rossco69 about my quad they will tell you how it performs under stock conditions with the exception of cams that are a stage 2 design. They will give you more mid to top end power without haveing to have more compression.

Quick Reply: ??????? PENLAND CAMS FOR THE 650 PRAIRIE