Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

best way to clean our quads?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 11:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best way to clean our quads?

I'm kinda new to having a quad.. I was wondering what is the best way to clean the engine with all those nooks and crannies?

Old 07-07-2003, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

I have a honda gas powered power washer. It is a must if you have quads (we have 5). If you are only a weekend type of rider then go to the car wash and power wash there. Just be careful not to spray water in the muffler hole or in the ignition hole your key goes in.

Old 07-07-2003, 12:10 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks I'll keep that in mind [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]... is there any type of cleaner out there that cleans it good with just a water hose?

My exhaust gets terrible.. mud gets baked on and is almost impossible to get off.

Old 07-07-2003, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider

No, I don't use soap. Just the pressure washer, and yes it will power away the mud from your exhaust with no problem. To give you an idea, I got back from a trip a week ago and the VForce had so much mud caked on it you seriously could not tell what color it was.....other than brown mud. Some people after washing will wipe the plastic down with armor all as that will also help the mud to come off easier next time.

Old 07-07-2003, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider

Spray your quad down with PAM cooking spray before you ride next time in all the areas you think you want the mud to wash away on and treat the motor with some as well enjoy the bacon and egg smell as well as the ride [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Actually the PAM cooking spray does a wonderful job found out about it last year and have used it ever since with no problems..

Old 07-07-2003, 03:37 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks ya'll ..I will try these

Old 07-07-2003, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WD-40 on the plastic works good too.

Old 07-07-2003, 04:09 PM
Range Rover

I just purchased my pressure washer last Thursday. I went with the Excell brand that Home Depot carries. It's got a 5hp OHV Honda engine and produces 2500psi of pressure. I can't wait to use it!! My only worry now is blasting all my stickers off....

Old 07-07-2003, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

We don't need no stinkin' sticker's! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Putt

Old 07-07-2003, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

You guys can do what you want, but I NEVER powerwash my quads. The high pressure water does several destructive things to your machine.

First of all, most chains have rubber O Rings that need to be lubricated to stay pliable. For long chain life, do not powerwash or you will drive away the lubrication from the O rings. The O rings will get brittle and crack and the chain will rust on the inside.

Secondly, the roller bearings can be contaminated by spraying water into them. At very high pressures, the water can actually penetrate into the bearings causing the grease to be contaminated.

Lastly, bushings (swing arms, etc) and get water in them causing rust and rapid wear.

I am not trying to be a know-it-all, but I felt like you guys should know this. I just wash mine with soap and water after a ride and have never had a problem.

Quick Reply: best way to clean our quads?