Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Any recomendations for a GPS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 12:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any recomendations for a GPS?

What do you mean "branded" ? How would they know who bought it?

Old 07-13-2003, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

I have the Garmin Etrex VISTA which is a step above the legend. It has 24mb of memory, waterproof, etc. I have it mounted on the handlebars via shock resistant ram mount. I recently fried it trying to hardwire it to 12volts (it runs on 3v), and garmin's repair service was awesome, and fast. Won't make that mistake twice. I have the garmin mapsource software (topographic map) and the amount of trails and landmarks that are saved into it are amazing. You will find trails near you that you didn't know existed, or detailed maps of the areas you ride in. My only gripe is the screen is kinda small for viewing.

Old 07-13-2003, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider

Actually, the Garmin GPSMAP76S is a better unit for trail mapping. It has more expandability(More Tracklog points and more memory) and has an altimeter/barometer and compass. It is also more compact than the GPS V.

If you want one for navigation and not mapping, the eTrex is going to work just fine and will save you a couple of hundred dollars.

MX

Old 07-13-2003, 04:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

What about the Rhino 120? What do you all think of that one?

Old 07-13-2003, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

The Rhino would also be a good navigation unit. especially if someone else has one as well.

MX

Old 07-13-2003, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

I aslo have the Garmen eTrex Vista. Its a great unit. Lots of memory and has some good software avalible.

Old 07-13-2003, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

I have Garmin GPS in my boat and all my handhelds, by far the easiest GPS units to use. I tried Magellan and couldn't get the hang of their logic when they layed out the screens, too many screens to navigate for the same info. My boat unit has removeable/downloadable cartridges, very handy when going to a new area. I've got my eye on the new Garmin handheld that includes a 5 mile FRS radio and removeable cartridges, very sweet unit. I've never had a problem with any Garmin GPS and they aren't too hard on batteries either.

Old 07-13-2003, 10:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have the Garmin Rino 120 and like it as my first gps. It did not like being mounted on the front rack of my P650 under battery power. It kept cutting off on me. I now use the power adapter and plug into the cigarette lighter. This works great. The Rino 120 is basically an Etrex Legend with the FRS/GMRS radio and peer to peer positioning added. Whatever you decide to buy you may want to consider ordering it from Good GPS Prices. They have great prices and very fast shipping ( usually get items in 2-3 days). I believe a "mapping" type GPS is much more useful than standard gps. It is nice to download more detailed maps and be able to see an actual map on your screen while on the trails. I have most of the Garmin Mapsource sofware and Maptech Terrain Navigator Pro for my state. How does these compare to the ExpertGps software?

Old 07-13-2003, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

FYI

The reason most GPS' will "cut out" when mounted to the ATV is not because of batteries power but, the vibration from the atv causes the batteries to move around too much. Either you have to pay for a vibration-resistant mount or do what I do which is to put it in my backpack with an external antennae attached on the top of the pack.

MX

Old 07-14-2003, 03:30 AM
Trailblazer

I have the Garmin GPS V and love it. I think "The Force" and "DogSpors" said it right. It's a great unit if you need all the bell's and whistles. I first bought the eTrex, but desided the extra features of the GPS V was worth the extra money. I had the same problem with the eTrex shutting off. The GPS V has a little spring you put between the batteries to prevent that problem, works well. I mounted my GPS V on my P650 with a bolt into the receiver on the handle bar. It's one tuff unit too. Survived a nasty roll over.

LIGHTMAN: I was also thinking of getting the Garmin Tropo map software, but though it was a little expensive. Is it really worth the $$$.

Any one else know any great software that works on the GPS V.?

Quick Reply: Any recomendations for a GPS?