Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Any recomendations for a GPS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 11:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any recomendations for a GPS?

If anybody is using one with quad riding I would like to hear what you recomend and why,,,, thanks.....

Old 07-12-2003, 03:08 PM
Trailblazer

I use a Garmin eTrex Legend GPS unit.......

It has all the features I could ever hope to use on a GPS unit.....It has 8 megabytes of internal memory which is great for downloading and storing base maps to.....

Also, I hook it up to my laptop, and using ExpertGPS software ($40), I can download all my stored tracks and routes, then overlay the tracks on an aerial photo map......it's hard to explain, but if you saw what I'm talking about, you'd like it!.....

That's my .02!

Old 07-12-2003, 03:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

I guess it depends on what you can afford. In my opinion, the Garmin GPS V is the best out there. It has 19 Mb of storage space for way more maps and it also contains street level data. You can look up addresses on it or nearest shopping centers or gas and it will take you right to it. It is an amazing device. Its also $499.00. But for anyone that ever does any traveling its indispensable. The RAM mount works great for it also.

Old 07-12-2003, 03:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Does it have the feature of the rhino? Able to send coordinates to other gps units?

Old 07-12-2003, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

I have a garmin gps... i don't know exactly which one it is but it only cost me 119.00 and it's bright yellow. I like mine a lot. It's easy to use dosen't have all the memory and hi tech stuff like some of the other one's have but it works for me..... and it's saved my bacon more that once!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-12-2003, 07:27 PM
Trailblazer

No, the Garmin GPS V doesn't have the feature to "beam" coordinates to other GPS units.....neither does the Garmin eTrex Legend.....as far as I know, only the rino has that feature.....

TheForce, have you used the "ExpertGPS" software with your GPS yet?......it is OUTSTANDING!

I agree with TheForce on the GPS V unit.......In my opinion it is the BEST GPS unit out there for features....although, it is expensive!.....the lowest price I've seen for the GPS V is 410 bucks online......

After comparing GPS units for most features for price......the eTrex Legend is hard to beat!.....

Also, like 2003650 said, the Garmin eTrex (yellow model) will perform just fine in most situations, and the price (119.00) is hard to beat!......

"Bells and whistles" are cool on GPS units, but if you're simply looking to get from point A to point B, track your path while in route, and want to know "where" you are......the Garmin eTrex (yellow) unit would work just fine!.....

It all depends on how you intend to use the GPS, and how much information you desire while doing so......

Old 07-12-2003, 10:33 PM
Range Rover

I like the garmin GPSV. Have used the GPSIII, and two others. I have the GPSV mounted on the bike with the garmin bike clamp. My brother made a curved bar that we bolted into the mirror sockets on the handlebars. GPS is right above the guages. Very easy to see. Map is great, can zoom in and out as needed.

Old 07-13-2003, 12:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

I like the price of 119.00 and only will be using it on the trails....

Old 07-13-2003, 12:17 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

I would like to upgrade to some of these nice new models,,,,,but honestly my Magellan 315 (1999) seems to help enough,,,,and until it breaks,,,,I wont replace it

If I bring it along,,,,,I will not get lost....period

Just get any GPS. They are real handy in the back country.

Old 07-13-2003, 12:19 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Also, keep in mind,,,when you buy it,,,,pay cash,,,and dont show any ID

otherwise,,,,you've been branded (when you use it)

thinkbout it.......

Quick Reply: Any recomendations for a GPS?