Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Any recomendations for a GPS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 03:40 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any recomendations for a GPS?

I bought a pair of Rino 120's a few months back. The only way to run them on an ATV or dirt bike is to take the batteries out (Heavy batteries vibrate on the thin cheap battery contact clips and cause problems) and run them from the DC power plug on the machine. If you want to save your routes you need constant power. (cannot lose power when you shut the bike off). I re-wired my DC plug on my Prairie 650 to be always hot so the GPS is always on when plugged in. I use a (ball) ram mount mounted to the front rack out of the way and it works well. I have the same set-up on my Kodiak 400 for my wife with the plan that she could contact me via the position sending feature and radio if we got separated. This feature works fairly well on open ground away from power lines. (about 1 1/2 miles apart and less if not in line of sight) When done riding, I hose the GPS off right on the bike and it seems to be fairly water resistant. We just got back from the Piaute trail in Utah and pre-programmed waypoints at trail forks and it was a big help in locating turns and just fun to play with. You can get several of the Ram Mount bases and mount them on several units and then use just the one main Rino mount to attach or detach in seconds between vehicles. The only disadvantage I have seen from using with no batteries in the unit is that if you wanted to unsnap the Rino from the mount quickly (to use the radio, etc) you have to stay very close to your quad. You can just press the talk button and leave it on the bike, but it is a little auckward.

I also use the GPS on my Honda Goldwing on the street and it will run just fine with batteries or with the power adapter.

Old 07-14-2003, 08:54 AM
Range Rover

I have the Garmin 76 S and its great..any garmin product you buy..make sure to go to garmingps.com (I think it is)...and download the current "UPDATE"...its free and makes a difference...even if your new unit is two months old, theres and update for it..another thought is...dont get a small screen unit... just try reading your wrist watch at 30 mph ,while driving on the trails/curves...on the small screen ones you will have to stop often, UNLESS you mount it on youir nose....I paid $368.00 for my 76s on ebay...

Old 07-14-2003, 10:34 AM
Pro Rider

You shouldn't be looking atyour GPS while driving anyway. I have heard too many "cliff" stories. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

MX

Old 07-14-2003, 11:10 AM
Trailblazer

If you haven't already, you guys with the GPS units MUST TRY the software "ExpertGPS"......

I've got the Garmin Topo CD and Microsoft Streets and Trips......and ExpertGPS blows them away!....

ExpertGPS uses a satelite photo database (microsoft terra server I think?) to over-lay your routes and track on......it's hard to expain, but once you've seen it, you'll be amazed!....

IMHO, it is simply the ONLY GPS software worth using......for the satelite photo option alone!.....

ExpertGPS Software site

Old 07-14-2003, 04:33 PM
Trailblazer

NEVER.. buy from..... Team GPS.com... they are a rip off joint You'll never get your order, But they will keep your money

Old 07-14-2003, 11:58 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: motoxpress
You shouldn't be looking atyour GPS while driving anyway. I have heard too many "cliff" stories. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

MX
..........ok..so YOU shouldn't be speeding......!!!

Old 07-15-2003, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider

Heh[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] good point. the problem is that trees tend to pay attention when you are NOT and jump right in front of you [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

To each his own though...

BTW Another Kudos on ExpertGPS. I have it and it is a great piece of software AND they load you up with a TON of waypoints right at the start (The file for Utah had over 30,000 waypoints!).

MX

Old 07-15-2003, 08:23 AM
Range Rover

...another thing that worked for ME..was to buy the external antenna...sometimes in the Black Hills area S.D...I would loose satilite reception deep in the canyons....the antenna really helps reduce that...got mine on ebay for $24.00 with shipping....go to ebay under search, and type in "gps antenna"...Hello motoxpress..will try to get to Utah one of these springs..'spose to be really nice riding out there....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]