Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Backfire with DMC duals

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 06:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backfire with DMC duals

I installed DMC duals on my V. Great increase in power but i now have a backfire that cant be eliminated according to the dealer that installed the pipe because of the "openess" of the pipe. Any simalar experiences or suggestions?

Old 07-30-2003, 09:54 AM
Trailblazer

I had the same problem with my DMC duels. I rejetted and it has seemed to go away. I hav 142f and 145 rear I also have set my air screws to 3and1/2 out. I think that the air screws are what stopped the back firing.

Old 07-30-2003, 12:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm thinking about getting the Alien Dual exhaust for my V, although I'm very mechanical, I'm not sure I want to be messing around with rejetting the carb(s). Can you dispell my fears, is it easy or is it something I should have the dealer do?

Old 09-21-2003, 08:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

Pilot,

I had the same fears and I am also very mechanical. Not a mechanic, but mechanically inclined. I just received all my new toys last week and put them all on this weekend. The jetting part made me real nervous but when I was done, I sat back and said man that was nothing. The most important part is to make sure you have a perfectly fitting screwdriver that bites the screws perfectly otherwise you will strip the screws. I kind of did on one and then I spent the extra 15 minutes to find the perfect screwdriver and the rest were cake. It needs to be kind of long also. Since I new nothing about carbs and read a post about removing some black cover, I started working on the wrong side of the carbs (when on the bike, the left side) and removed the slide diaphragm cover. When I couldn’t find anything that remotely looked like the #138 jet I had, I figured I was on the wrong side, re-assembled it and took the other side apart (when on the bike, the right side). You just remove the 4 small screws holding the bowl/bowl cover on and when you remove the cover out of the way the jet is right there. You will have to tilt the carbs a little to get the screwdriver to line up straight with the screws. The rubber connecting them to the motor allows for a little play. To remove the jet you just use a perfectly fitting flat head screwdriver and remove the main jet. It seemed like it did not want to unscrew and then with a little more effort it just released while making a snapping sound. When your loosening the bowl cover expect the gas that is in the bowl to drain out but there shouldn’t be that much in either. Once you install the new jets, reassemble and bam your done. I removed all the plastic in the front as well as the air box and rubber breather connecting to the belt cover and the breather snorkel but you probably don’t have to remove everything that I did, but you will have to remove the rubber belt cover breather. You will only be working on the right side under the top frame tube.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-21-2003, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

First turn your mixture screw out 3 turns and then re-check the tightness of the bolts to make sure you don't have any leaks.