Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

overheating

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 04:54 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating

For the past two months my p650 has been overheating. The first time we went thought a lot of mud
then 50km's of duts trail. Cleaned the rad and it was fine. So i changed the thrmostat and flushed
the coolent system. Last weekend went for a 20 min ride no more then 25km/hour and it started
to overheat again. The fan did not come on, i waited till the coolent light went off and and rode a
nother 21/2 hours and didn't overheat and i was pulling a 1500 pound empty hay wagan. Ordered new
temp switch for the fan don't know what else it could be.

Old 08-01-2003, 07:17 AM
Pro Rider
Default overheating

Could be the system is not building pressure. Radiators have to have pressure or the engine will create air pockets and just plain run hot and over heat long before the fan runs. That plastic radiator cap fill neck can't handle much heat and warps really easy. Check it. The lip on the inside may have eroded.

Next time the motor is hot, get welding gloves and check the radiator for pressure by unscrewing cap. Be extremely careful not to unscrew fast enough to let much out. Serious risk of being scalded.

Old 08-01-2003, 09:04 AM
Range Rover
Default overheating

had my 650 overheat cleaned the rad and installed the highlifter temp gauge and put a mule thermastst in it opens at 185 instead of 195 also got the heat fighter kit ecept for the exhaust wrap going to see how that works also got the low pressure washer kit to clean my rad on the trail if I go through alot of mud, going riding sat let you know how it works

Old 08-01-2003, 09:15 AM
Range Rover
Default overheating

How do I go about draining water from the coolant system to add "Water Wetter"? Any replies are appreciated,thanks.

Old 08-01-2003, 03:33 PM
Range Rover
Default overheating

I got the additive from high lifter and you only add 6 oz so you should be able to add it no problem

Old 08-19-2003, 12:52 PM
Range Rover
Default overheating

Originally posted by: Cleve
How do I go about draining water from the coolant system to add "Water Wetter"? Any replies are appreciated,thanks.
I did this to my 03 p650 last week. I just drained all the fluid, added 6 ounces of Water Wetter to a gallon of distilled water and refilled the system. The p650 service manual recommends adding the new fluid slowly to keep air introduction to a minimum. Tap the hoses to release any air bubbles and you're good to go. My p650 runs noticably cooler having done this. The fan doesn't come on nearly as often. Yesterday, I bought some insulated pipe wrap. I'm going to wrap that front pipe which runs by the radiator which is suppose to help in cooling (especially at low speeds). I might just go ahead and wrap the entire length of both pipes. I understand that doing so will actually deliver a performance increase.

Moo,
WheelCow

Old 08-19-2003, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default overheating

you should also note, that adding anything to the reservour will do nothing, I've never seen one that will pull fluid back into the radiator... I believe it is there just to catch any that would boil over, just the keep it out of the environment, the reservour could be emptied out IMO, or removed completely if spillage were not a concern...WAM

Old 08-19-2003, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default overheating

Cleve,
I removed about 2 or 3 ozs from my radiator by sticking a small turkey baster down the opening of the radiator (not into the overflow bottle). I was able to remove just enough coolant so that I could then install 2 or 3 ozs. of Purple Ice (similar to Water Wetter). My P650 runs much cooler now and the fan does not come on as frequently as it did before (but it does still come on often when riding in extremely dusty conditions).

If you can't remove enough coolant with a small turkey baster, I suggest using the spray nozzle from a windex bottle (or any other type of spray bottle). After unscrewing the spray nozzle top from the rest of the windex bottle, just stick the long skinny tube (attached to the spray nozzle) down into the radiator and spray out the coolant into another container. I actually did this too and it works. Good luck.

Old 08-19-2003, 03:22 PM
Trailblazer
Default overheating

I used the spray nozzle from an old windex bottle too.You can get just enough out to put in the right amount of water wetter.Since I started using mobile one synthetic oil and water wetter my fan rarely runs and my motor runs alot cooler,and its been very hot here lately