Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

major top speed loss on P650??

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 06:15 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default major top speed loss on P650??

I wasn't in low, I do believe I would have noticed that, my bike will only hit about 38 or so in low but it was up around 47-48 so I know that wasn't it. Tonight I'm going to unattach the holeshot and see if it comes back up. I may just need a new belt though. Thanks for the input

Old 12-24-2003, 06:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey meangreen did you ever figure out the problem, because mine is doing the same thing????

I did the following mods to my 03 p 650 and it was running fine about 62 mph......at sea level.........

27" 589s
k&n air filter
nyroc mod exhaust
5 1/2 inch holes in top of air box
145/148 jets
2 washers on the needles

This thing was running great realy had it dialed in but i could tell it had more!!!

So I got a Black spring, dg snorkel, holeshot, and installed them in one day and I see a huge top end loss now she does about 52 tops that is a huge difference....and I would say i blame it on the spring but it seams to backfire during deceleration. the top end rpm's seem the same but can't tell for sure, no tach!!!

The only thing i did differentis didnt use a torque wrench when installing the spring, and used the clips with the holeshot mod.

I do see a major takeoff gain and can picture in my head the larger spring at work but that much of a difference in belt slide not 10 mph and the backfire also perplexes me....

Any thoughts from anyone???

Old 12-24-2003, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

With your jetting you shouldn't be lean even with the addition of the snorkel, but you never know..... or, make sure the rubber flap isn't blocking the end of the snorkel, thus making it rich. The holeshot is easy to unhook; you can easily check that for any malfuntion by hooking back up to the speed sensor.

Old 12-24-2003, 10:12 PM
Range Rover

not really sure, that is a big loss similar to mine. I had a problem with my Holeshot, I unattached it then rehardwired it back in, and no problem since. I also changed out my belt, which I think was my main problem, I've gotten some top end back but not up to where I was before. I guess that black spring really takes it toll on the top end speed.

It does sound like your are a little lean, with it back firing and all. Does any smoke come out of the exhaust when it does that? If so check your air filter for oil, you could have some overfill that is causing the problem. Last time I opened her up for top speed test, I got the backfire then smoke, I checked and sure enough I had oil all over my air filter from the overflow valve in the air box. Just a idea. Keep us informed.

Old 12-25-2003, 11:41 AM
Range Rover

FYI, I have the black spring in my bike and I raced my buddy which has the exact same bike and tires. I beat him on take off up to about 35 mph then he walked away from me slowly. Maybe 1mph , that's it. Not much difference. I dont think that the spring is much of your problem.
later

Old 12-31-2003, 09:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

The holeshot was the problem it must have been a bad one because as soon as i uninstalled it i got my top end back (59 mph) and the backfiring stopped!! I read the instructions to a T and reinstalled via hardwire instead of the clips they sent and still the same problem, so no holeshot for me I guess!!! Guess I should have gotten a naber instead of a dg!!!

Old 12-31-2003, 03:51 PM
Range Rover

hey meangreen,
do u know of any good trail systems between tallahassee and chattahoochee,also do u know of any riding groups

and i think the solution to the problem maybe the belt not gettin the proper grip,i changed the belt on my scram and i can tell the difference in how the machine pulls when it gets into the powerband

Old 12-31-2003, 05:11 PM
Range Rover

No we don't ride that side of Tallahassee, we usually ride south side or around Crawfordville or out toward the ocklocknee river area on highway 20. I'm just now starting to ride with a new group, this weekend so I'll let you know how it works out. My old group I rode with has kind of gone thier seperate ways over the last year. Maybe we'll all get back together when summer comes again. If you are ever in the area just drop me a line and we'll go ride some weekend.