Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

HELP !! this hill is kickin my KFX butt !

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 01:56 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP !! this hill is kickin my KFX butt !

I can use some tips on beating this hill. Its not very big about 100 feet not too steep its just that it has no runway and their are rr tracks at the top also its loose culm and cinder I tried about 6 times and had to bail or back down. i have even been going around to the top and skidding down to drag the loose stuff down and create ruts to get in on the next bout with this thing (two ex's tried it too that i know of and down they went) So you know why i need to get the kaw up.Tips or someone in the area to show me.

Old 08-03-2003, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider

back up as far as you can and do a MX style start, see if you can grab third befor you get to the hill. try to avoid spinning, if you hook up the z/KFX's dont have a whole lotta weight in the front end to keep in on the ground. If you start spinning ride the clutch a little but dont screw around and start slipping the clutch. try lugging it a little, give it just enought gas to keep its momentum but not so much you start spinning. good luck [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-03-2003, 06:09 PM
Range Rover

Hey thanks, but we can now add a350 banshi to the list of failed attempts. just got back from a ride to visit the hill just to skid down and drag some loose stuff off.I was just in shorts and sneaks so i didnt attempt it .but like i said i met up with this guy on the banshi and told him about the hill.No Good!!! third gear would great but there is not enough room to get it.Feathering the clutch can pose more problems i believe. Momentum is key ! My next move i think will be to get a coupleof guys at the point where most of us failed ,too ease my fear of my brand new KFX from fliping into a tree.we need to get this thing and it needs to be me (kfx400).

Old 08-03-2003, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider

sit by the tank, put it in 2nd gear, flore it and let the clutch fly. If at all posible hit 3rd it might help.
After/if your wheels stop spinning sit back a little for more traction.

Kind of hard to help without seeing or trying it myself.
Let us know if you make it.

also I would remove the lid completly to the more air that goes in and out of the engine=more power.

Old 08-03-2003, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider

One more thing, try adjusting the tire psi for more traction.

Old 08-03-2003, 08:47 PM
Range Rover

Hey Witti, I will kill that hill!!! Now tell me about that limiter overide -that thing is a pain in my reverse!!! can you walk me threw it.Is it an owner mod-like jump a wire -or do I have to pay.

Old 08-03-2003, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like we ride the same stuff. I have found that dragging the hill only helps AFTER someone has tried and not made it and made ruts to clear them out. The top is the crust, under that is usually softer and will kill your revs. If you get to the hill first try not to drag it down where you are going to come up or come to the hill from the bottom. 2nd gear is usually all you can manage on these coal hills, rev 2nd to the moon and if you cant keep the revs up drop a tooth on the front sprocket.

Also dont be afraid to get those front wheels skyward a little, it will really help your traction. When you get too much traction the revs will drop then try and skooch your are forward a little.

Here is a nice hill

Old 08-03-2003, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider

go under the suzuki forum and search (reverse) it is the 2nd post the list.
A member named freakazoid replied with the instructions.
It is not to hard to do as long as you can solder. Also he tells you to make a jumper with 28ga wire. I did not have wire that small, I used 1 stran of speaker wire from a car. That was the smallest wire I had and it works great.

When you pull the wires out of the cdi conector they will slide out easily if you have the screwdriver in the right spot. I had a little trouble with the first wire, but once I figured it out it went good.

Old 08-03-2003, 10:54 PM
Range Rover

Thanks Wit, The freak hooked me up. I spent the last half hour trying to print it , stupid thing keeps cuttin it down Tried landscape still screwed .Ill have to get the woman to print it for me .Where else but the dealer can
i find a shop manual for our bikes!!

Old 08-03-2003, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

you can get one on a cd from e-bay for about $5.
I downloaded mine from sweetquads.com, but now you have to pay for the download, I think its $2.