Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

going to hatfield/mccoy trail 1st time Sunday, route advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 08:44 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going to hatfield/mccoy trail 1st time Sunday, route advice?

and was wanting some advice on which route to take, and which trialhead to start out at? want a good intermediate route with some difficult climbs, scenery, and some good mud holes. might want to go down into one of the town's for a lunch break after riding a few hours, about 12 of us are going and were all very experienced riders.

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks,

Old 08-09-2003, 05:21 PM
Range Rover

btt

Old 08-09-2003, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

We're also going to H/M for the first time in October, and would also love to hear some stories. From what I've heard, the Rockhouse trailhead is a great one for what you asked for. If you go to www.trailsheaven.com and click the links for tours, those guys apparently really know the area well. I'm sure a quick email to them will answer your question.

Old 08-10-2003, 01:57 AM
2TV
Pro Rider

For a good mix of all skill levels of trails, including some good hill climbs (some are very rocky), Rockhouse is one of the best choices of the four currently available. For my style of riding (I generally prefer a nice sporting pace) I would rank the four trail systems in this order for ATVs (sport and utility):

1). Rockhouse. You can ride your ATV around the town of Man and to the trail head from there. All levels of trails, some good hill climbs, some really rugged trails (if you want to do those), some fast trails where you can go for miles at a really good clip, plenty of puddles / mud / drainage ditches (jumps). You can ride to the back end of the trail system and drop down into another town (Gilbert) for a refueling stop and lunch. Best scenery views of all four trail systems. The trail to Gilbert was a new addition last year. Before this was available we had to carry gas cans with us because if we tried to run all the trails we’d run out before making it back to the trail head. Has the most trail miles of the four.

2). Bear Wallow. Some challenging trails, some good hills, coal piles in the back part for a change of pace, some mud and stream crossings. Must return to the trail head for gas. There is a convenience store / gas station near the trail head.

3). Buffalo Mountain. Mud here and there, some steep hills, one very steep hill on black level trail # 98 going towards Matewon (I’ve gone up it with my Grizzly twice, once with my 600 I used to have then once with my 660. A Kodiak that was with us didn’t make it and had to be winched up the rest of the way and a Rubicon nearly lost it at the top and ended up off to the side of the trail in some brush). One particular trail, black # 92 was very muddy, some really deep mud holes (nearly up to my seat). Has the least number of trail miles of all four systems. You can ride into the town of Matewon for gas and food on the back side of the system.

4). Water Ways. The newest trail system, these trails are on average the easiest of the four systems. Still was a worth while ride though. However like Bear Wallow, there is no place to drop off for food and gas, so you must come back to the trail head to re-fuel if necessary. My last visit down I did Water Ways with the V-Force (a gas hog with a smallish tank). I hit most of the trails and my low fuel light had come on about five miles from the trail head on the return trip after a ride lasting several hours. One member of my group on a Rubicon was carrying a 2 1/2 gallon gas can for me but I didn't need it on this trip.

On just about every trip down I’ve run into locals who offered to take my group on some of their other (non-H/M) trails. So far we haven’t done that, mainly because of all the work and expense that has gone into the organization and maintenance of this great trail system so I wanted to show my support by patronizing them (the Hatfield McCoy system).

All of my trips to H/M have been at least 5 day affairs; a day to drive down, three days of riding and one day to drive back. I plan to go down again for the October Trail Fest (10/10 to 10/13). I may also go down sometime in September if I can work it in the schedule. I’m the newsletter editor for a local motorcycle (street / trail) club of which I am a member and I’ve written up several Hatfield McCoy ride stories with photos. If you are interested in seeing these PM me with your email address and I’ll send them to you in PDF format (they may be sent in separate emails due to their size).

Old 08-11-2003, 04:10 AM
Pro Rider

I'm only 25 minutes from the WaterWays trailhead and still have never been on the system [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

I told the wife to pick a saturday and we are going for a ride. She's having me pick her up a helmet Tuesday!!!!

I can't wait to hit the H/M trails!!!!

Old 08-12-2003, 11:23 PM
Range Rover

Where is a good place to stay at rockhouse.Looking for cabins with direct access to trailhead.
Thanks Also is that the one in kentucky?

Old 08-12-2003, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

we're staying at the browning fork trailhouse. Do a search, or go to the atv tyme forums...misspelled due to **** moderators....

Old 08-12-2003, 11:59 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

For Rockhouse, the most convenient motel is the Colonial Motel in Man. They have a large parking area, plenty of room for trailers. You can ride your ATV / dirt bike around the town of Man (for easy access to gas, food & lodging) as long as you obey the traffic laws and wear your helmet. There are other businesses that rent townhouses, houses or cabins (this works out better for groups of up to 8 because you can share and divide up the cost amongst yourselves, plus some of these places have all the comforts of home, even a hose to wash off your equipment at the end of the day. My favorite so far is Almost Heaven Rentals where I’ve rented a 3BR house in the town of Man.

The Rockhouse trail head is just outside the town of Man and you can legally ride to there from anywhere in town. You can also stay in the town of Gilbert (at the back side of Rockhouse). They permit riding in their town as well, however it is a little more restricted, they have certain streets and areas that are off limits to off road equipment. So far I have stayed in Man and start from there. We ride through the trail system and drop down into Gilbert for lunch and refueling, then back onto the trail system to work our way back to the main trail head and Man.

You can find Hatfield McCoy lodging information on their website here:
Lodging in Hatfield McCoy area

You can find trail maps here:
Trail Maps

Rockhouse is not the trail system that takes you into KY. That is the Buffalo Mountain system. I’ve heard a rumor that one day there will be a connector trail incorporated into the system that will connect both Rockhouse and Buffalo Mountain systems together. Of course eventually Hatfield McCoy is supposed to consist of 2000 miles of trails. Right now they are at a little over 300 I believe (with 100 miles each at Rockhouse and Bear Wallow).

Old 08-13-2003, 10:20 AM
Range Rover

They're supposedly working on the connector trail. (Rockhouse to Buffalo Mtn.) It was to be finished this year - not sure if they are still saying that or not. There are trails that connect the two now, but they are off system. (and they would be considered a black trail difficulty) (Mrs.Q)

Old 08-13-2003, 02:17 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

Last I had heard they were down to negotiating with one final landowner, then the connector trail could be incorporated into the system. Once that is accomplished that is a lot of riding one can do from one starting point - in fact for some it may warrant staying overnight at the other end before taking on the return journey back to the starting point!

Quick Reply: going to hatfield/mccoy trail 1st time Sunday, route advice?