Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

module test teaser...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default module test teaser...

I agree that it shows that. But I wanted to see actual differences in acceleration and how much of an increase each would have over stock and that test will not show it.

Old 08-18-2003, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider

The main reason I want to see actual acceleration differences is to determine if I want to buy a module or not.

Old 08-18-2003, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider

these are actual acceleration tests, Atv's run in the dirt, don't they.

Old 08-18-2003, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider

Rebel, when you roll at 3mph for 10 secs and hit the gas, notice how much more power you have than when you stop and then hit it.

The difference is the CDI causes a lag when you are stopped. All any of those modules do is take that lag away. That is all.

I have a module, and it doesn't do a dang thing when rolling from 3mph, doesn't change the top speed. It does take away that lag when you are stopped and makes wheelies easy.

Is it worth $125 (or so?). I like it. I think it is worth it for me. I recommend it, but don't expect anything other than more power from a standstill. The timing retard at takeoff make me think there is something wrong with my 650. The hole shot makes it run like it should. Ptobably makes it run cooler when doing a lot of stopping.

However, the programmable ignition box that Alltoys has will do a lot more for the money than a holeshot module. The max 28 degrees of advance on the Prairie CDI is just plain STUPID. It is retarded all across the power range. We could get a huge amount more power with a real CDI, Diamond G unlimiter (soon?) or with Electromotive's hpx system. Alltoys claims it is waterproof, but it is big, expensive, and needs a degree wheel installed on the crank or cam. Not exactly the work most people wanna do to their 650.

Ever notice the 650 fan runs more than other quads with less airflow around rad? It is because of our mentally retarded timing curves.

I say get the holeshot now (don't expect the world from it) and hope for Diamond G's unlimiter or a CDI. Then we will get 31-33 degrees (or whatever) and no retard on the top end.

Old 08-18-2003, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider

lol Shotgun,

Good point. How many drag races happen on anything but gravel roads out in the boonies?

We knew someone would be along saying our results were crap because they weren't done on X or with Y.

The fact is the trends are there. Simply running our tests to try and beat them is useless. Please do set up your own suite of tests and perform them like we did. Do at least 3 runs and average the results. Keep the track conditions the same and have at it. We welcome additional results, but expect the trends to be the same.

Old 08-18-2003, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider

Many pats on the back Dirtywhiteboy and Newbeetle.

Old 08-18-2003, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

That's mainly what I want to see....I can't make up my mind whether to get either one and I want to see hard data to sway me. I'm confused about which one to get or to even get one.

Old 08-18-2003, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider

Rebel, I agree. I was on the fence, but then ordered one. However, I never installed it and sold it to my dealer when I got the P700. I decided I wanted more proof of its benefit before I tapped into the CDI. I am VERY interested in the unlimiter though.

Nyroc, Shotgun, Alltoys, anyone

Why in the heck did I gain top end with the P700 primary spring in my P650? I really like the mid range gains it gave (albeit slight). I did not expect the top end to go up though. Do we have primary slip at full upshift that contributes to that "wall" feeling we get? I noticed that my P650 ramped up to speed faster with the P700 primary spring and did not surge like it does with the P650 spring. My guess is that is belt slip.

Any ideas or thoughts?

I thought only ramp weight determined full upshift?

Old 08-18-2003, 03:33 PM
Pro Rider

OK, from the beginning of the modules being released we have all been brain washed. If what Nyroc says is true then the modules don't do jack for us. This is how, and I imagine many people, thought the module would help us. I thought the timing was retarded lets say 20 degrees at 3000 rpm and then 21 and 3500 rpm and 22 at 4000 rpm, etc. Just an example and not actual timing readings. Now I thought the module would increase the timing to 28 degrees at all rpms. Not so by the sounds of it.

When the holeshot module was first released it was told to everyone that it only would advance the timing to 30 or so mph, now everyone says it holds the timing throught out the power band and now from what I gather it doesn't advance timing at all but only below 3 mph to give us that sudden acceleration feeling.

This is how I have perceived all this from the get go to now. There is no denying it, the holeshot module was being advertised as only up to 30 mph, now its not.....this all leads me to believe this module stuff is nonsense and tests have proven it. I guess its good for big tires so you can get them to move in the deep slop but thats about it.

If I would have known all of this I would not have gotten my module, but I will install it when it arrives and give it a try.

Old 08-18-2003, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider

Bbert, they give us more takeoff from a stop, but nothing else. Note the following data from Newbeetle:

200ft 20mph rolling start times on my quad...

2WD no mod. 4.09sec. ...
4WD no mod. 4.02sec. ...
2WD Naber mod. 4.26sec. ... 44.0mph ( speedo average )
4WD Naber mod. 3.99sec. ...
2WD D.G.R. mod. 4.06sec. ...
4WD D.G.R. mod. 3.93sec. ...

The differences here are probably experiementation error (mainly gravel). I feel those are all basically identical results.
Note that the DG module is essentially same as stock, the Nabor results are slower. On another test it looks like the modules are worse than stock. Probably experimentation error. It is well known fact that you get more power from a stop with a holeshot module. Whether you waste it on wheelspin is another story.

No offense to Alltoys and shotgun, but we sometimes can't compare their results because their machines are so much more modified than ours. Shotgun's CDI does things that nobody can explain. Alltoys has advanced technology to extensive to mention.

It has been proven by many people that the modules give you takeoff power, and do nothing up high. The Stock CDI does stupid things from a stop. The holeshot just prevents that. That is it.

I believe you machine will improve a little with a holeshot exactly like mine did.

I can't find a paved road I can safely use near here to do tests, but take my word the module works nice.

Quick Reply: module test teaser...