Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

front spring and plastic damage on 650

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 10:44 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front spring and plastic damage on 650

Last night did something stupid, and lodged a tree limb under my front right fender. While it was in there I believe it broke the suspension and it also split my green plastic about 8 inches.

My question is, is my suspension broke or what? I don't know a whole lot about suspension, so here is the synopsis. The black tube plastic looking thing at the top of the suspension/ spring came loose at the bottom so the spring is showing through and everytime I give it gas or hit the brakes it makes the god awful clicking noise like something scraping something up and down.

If my suspension is broke what are your suggestions besides just replacing with factory parts. And also what is the best way to fix broken plastic or where should I look for some new plastic (I'd like to use this as an excuse to get the camo pattern plastic).

Thanks

Old 09-05-2003, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

The top of the black plastic cover supports the top of the spring; if the plastic is broken in this area it will have to be replaced. If it's broken down lower you could just cut the broken section off.

Old 09-05-2003, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

meangreenmudmachine, you could look up the p/n for camo plastic on buykawasaki.com and oder it from ronayers.com

There are plastic welding kits that heat you plastic and make it stick to some plastic that they provide. Might be as strong as new.

Some people drill little holes, use little zip ties. Works well, looks like frankenstein. You can get colored zip ties at home depot and auto parts stores.

Goop may help you too. Sand the back of it with really rough sandpaper, use goop reinforced with spent dryer sheets over a large area (sheets also prevent goop from running. Either tape the front side, or use a soldering iron on the back to hold it in place before applying goop. Goop also works well in conjunction with the zip ties. Goop hold up extremely well unless it is freezing cold outside. Floridans probably don't experience freezing cold much.

Old 09-05-2003, 12:31 PM
Range Rover

I broke my rear plastic in a wreck a couple of weeks ago. I have been trying to located a
rear section in green but have had no luck on ebay.

If you buy a new set of camo and your rear piece is not broken, let me know and I might try and work and deal with you on it.

I looked at camo plastic too, its about $330 total from Ron Ayres.

Old 09-05-2003, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider

I have a rear section from my 03. I have the whole set. I just went with the 04 Realtree. I really want to sell the whole set. Make me an offer. Send me a private message.

Old 09-05-2003, 04:45 PM
Range Rover

I've heard about your little goop and downy sheets trick Nyroc, but kind of forgot about it until you just mentioned it. I just remembered that I have a little company called "PROGRESSIVE INSURANCE", who would love to fix this for me with no deductable. Hopefully I'll be able to claim everything considering it was an accident. Sometimes you forget about insurance because you never use them but its always nice to remember when you need them the most.

LetcherKY, I'll give you a call if they replace the plastic, my back piece is a little scratched but I'll let you know.

Old 09-05-2003, 06:21 PM
Range Rover

Rock, where did you get the camo plastic from? Does the 04 fit the 02 models? Progressive is paying so I can basically get what I want for replacement (just as long as the shop works its magic to get me the camo).

Old 09-05-2003, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

Yes To 700 fits the 650 perfectly.
Go here Prairie stuff on eBay and keep whatching.
There are 2 peices there now. Buy my green set for 200.00 + shipping if you want. Medium scratches but thats how it gets after some woods riding. Tuscaloosa, AL is where the plant that paints for several MFG's is located. These employees and friends of, are getting their hands on over runs and selling them. 300.00 + 40.00 shipping are what they are going for in a full set on eBay. I'll email my contact and see what is in the works.
I did not find ANY flaws in mine. I did get Advantage bar covers but you can't tell unless you are an expert or I mention it. That was no surprise. He told me about it before the sale.

Old 09-05-2003, 09:04 PM
Range Rover

You can get the whole camo set new from ron ayres kawaski for about $320.00 plus shipping cost, (I did not get a shipping quote) I have never figured out why the ebay plastic is so popular, at least not at $300.00 plus $40 shipping.

I talked to the guy selling the camo parts on ebay. He does not have any of the other pieces, just the ones he has listed the rear clip and upper and lower airbox area.

You could buy his two pieces and the rest from ron ayres and you would probably come out about $250.00 shipped For a brand new camo kit. Not bad

This seems to be the cheapest route to go For the entire camo kit. However, I just want to pick up a nice, used green rear clip for about $35 and save myself the hassel of switching all that plastic over to camo.

I am lazy, but I shop around [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-06-2003, 09:38 AM
Pro Rider

WRONG! NOT!
I went through this with RonAyres already. They DO NOT SELL ATV PLASTIC! They do not want to deal with the oversize package hassles. I spoke with them in detail about it. I begged. I even went as far as talking about false advertizment. No Deal!
From my Kaw Dealer the set was 460.00-ish shipped. From Ron Ayers it was around 365.00 not shipped. I have the exact prices in another post somewhere.
So here is my take on it.
If you wreck your machine and need to save all the cash you can, $200.00 + shipping aint bad for a used green set in good shape. The rear section from the Teaser RonAyers is 160.00 not shipped. So you get the rest of the set to sell and recover some or save as spares. If you put a new rear section on a quad with older fronts whats the deal there.
If you want the camo at the time of a new purchase you will pay 300 to 350 more. If you go through the dealer you will pay around 460.00 unless he is your brother in-law.
So I think 300 + shipping on ebay is OK but not out standing since you still gotta buy decals and possibly some other hardware if you use your old black trim.
The good in all this to me is how well the Camo finish holds up. The machine can look decent for a long time if you care.
So go ahead! Do an on-line purchase for the camo plastic from Ron Ayers and see what happens.

Quick Reply: front spring and plastic damage on 650