Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Need some jetting advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2003, 08:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some jetting advice

Hi,

I have been struggling a bit with installing a Dyno Jet Kit and running too rich at idle to 1/4 throttle. I am at an impasse and would love some advice on how to move forward. I have installed a Twin Air Filter, DG Snorkle, and DynoJet Kit Stage 1. I installed the 132 in the front and 136 in the rear for the main jets (instructions from Dyno Kit at 1000 feet) and put in the needle and set it to the 5th slot. I turn the fuel mixture screws three turns out each. The bike started great cold but as it warmed up idled badly and when I drove it, it seemed to hesitate and sputter from off idle to 1/2 throttle and then took off like a rocket and ran great. I adjusted the screws 1/4 at a time trying to lean it out but couldn't resolve it. I then tore it back apart and put the needle to the 4th slot and tried to adjust the fuel mixture screws but no luck. Still starts cold great, idles poorly hot, and sputters to 1/2 throttle. Pull the plugs and they are black. Too rich still.

I pulled the air box lid off and it idled hot better but still sputtered at off idle to 1/4 throttle. I didn't take it for a spin with the air box lid off but did try adjusting the fuel mixture screws following NYROC instructions from "Jetting" article and no luck same symptoms. I figure I got two choices or places to go. I haven't modded by exhaust yet (NYROC's) or try the dynojet needle at the 3rd slot and try adjusting the fuel mixture screws and check the plugs. It seems from NYROC's Jetting article most examples have some kind of modded exhaust. That is why I am thinking of that option. I haven't even tried to do plug checks for 1/2 throttle to full until I get this part right. Is that the right approach? I figure I am on to something or on something...

THanks for any input.

Java

Old 09-20-2003, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

Java,
Have you done a search on jetting there is a ton of info on jetting alone on this forum. Just to recap though IMO the dyno jets you have in the stage one kit are not large enough they are at least one size smaller in volume than the Kiehns that were in your carbs. I would suggest you leave the jets alone untill you do a muffler modd whether it is Nyrocs or an after market system that is your choice. Most companys will offer Keihn Jets as opposed DJ jets with their muffler systems as OEM's are better. You say your jetting is rich with the DJ jets try opening up your air box a lot more this will help, the best thing you can do is a muffler modd then you will have to jet up.

Old 09-21-2003, 11:33 AM
Trailblazer

Hi Alltoys,

I did most of my reading from NYROC's document and finding carb docs on the net. I have been searching forum posts like you suggested and finding my problem with other people. For the money I have spent, I am just plain ticked off. Looks like I can play around with what I have or I can do it right by drilling out my stock pipe and using the Keihn jets. I wonder if I can return my kit to my online dealer Denniskirk.com.

THanks again for the point in the right direction Alltoys. When I get it right, I will post it.

Java

Old 09-21-2003, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider

Java,
Jetting can be a pain it is a trial thing try this and if it doesn't work go higher or lower in jet size or open the air box for fine tuning that is all person can do.

Old 09-21-2003, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider

poor idle hot.... be sure your choke plunger's are not sticking open a little.......