Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

V Force vs YFZ 450

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 05:34 PM
RPM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V Force vs YFZ 450

Spent a week at the Dunes this last Summer with 26 other quads, including a 2 Predators, 3 KFX400's, a 400EX, my KFX700 and a buddy's new YFZ450. The YFZ had the Cam Timing Mod, GYTR Pipe, Jetted, Filtered and Air Box Lid removed, along with Haulers. One of the Predators had a Pipe, Jets, Filter, Air Box Mods and Haulers, and same with one of the KFX400 (Mine) except it was running Sand Skate II's. My 700 is all stock except I was running Edge (V Design) Paddles and the other Predator was completely stock with Rooster Paddles.

We all raced so many times that I lost count. We ran about 200 to 250ft, and the results were about the same every time. My 700 would get a huge jump on everyone but the YFZ. The Piped Predator would catch me about half way and pass me. My 700 would nose out the stock Predator, and the KFX's along with the 400EX would bring up the rear. I will say this, that if the race was 300ft, the stock predator would beat me.

With that said, I will tell you this, the YFZ didn't just beat all of us, it made us look Stupid. After the first day off racing, he started giving us 10 to 15 Quad length advantages, and would still go by us riding a wheelie like we were standing still. This guy can ride too, on top of that he isn't a big guy, so there isn't a lot of weight involved here.

Too make things worse, over the winter he is having the Head Ported, different Cams and the High Comp Piston installed. I'm not even going to try and line up against him anymore.

TellicoGrizz660,

The fact is that the YFZ in STOCK form doesn't have very much Torque on the bottom end. It doesn't require a large amount of Torque to get a 350lb Quad moving. If you have the opportunity to ride a KFX700, you will understand what low end Torque feels like, especially considering the weight of the 700. Weight is a HUGE factor in acceleration, especially in sand. When was the last time you saw a Drag Banshee that wasn't stripped down to the bare essentials? In every form of motorsports racing, weight has to be mandated in order to keep the racers from making their rides so light that they become dangerous. The difference in weight between these two machines is a big deal. Imagine that 700cc motor in a light weight Quad around 350 to 375lbs.

I'm a big fan of the YFZ450 and wouldn't mind having one. At the same time, I wouldn't trade my KFX700 in for anything.

Old 01-03-2004, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

actually, the vforce is the most powerful at the crank. i no that dont count if its not to the back wheels, it is a fun quad to ride. i have not raced a yfz with my vforce but i have with my predatorand when the yfz hit 4 gear it would just walk a way from my predator but if we kept going for top end i could beat the yfz. cant wait to see vforce with the 785 kit in it with a cdi box. i would bet if the v was 150lbs. lighter it would be a hand full.

Old 01-03-2004, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RPM

TellicoGrizz660,

The fact is that the YFZ in STOCK form doesn't have very much Torque on the bottom end. It doesn't require a large amount of Torque to get a 350lb Quad moving. If you have the opportunity to ride a KFX700, you will understand what low end Torque feels like, especially considering the weight of the 700. Weight is a HUGE factor in acceleration, especially in sand. When was the last time you saw a Drag Banshee that wasn't stripped down to the bare essentials? In every form of motorsports racing, weight has to be mandated in order to keep the racers from making their rides so light that they become dangerous. The difference in weight between these two machines is a big deal. Imagine that 700cc motor in a light weight Quad around 350 to 375lbs.

As Henry Ford Said:

The most beautiful things in the world are those from which all excess weight has been removed.