Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Still up in the air over a P700 vs. Rincon purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still up in the air over a P700 vs. Rincon purchase

I posted a few days ago asking for input on the pros and cons of the Rincon and it's tranny, power and lack of front differention lock up. I got a few replies but still need some more. The big downside that I can see with the Prairie is the belt drive. I don't think I like it but I have never owned a bike with one. I really like the Honda reputation and the looks of the Rincon much more than the P700 but have great reservations about some of the issues I mentioned above. I am coming off of a Raptor so it will be a new experience for me and I am looking forward to it. I would just like to get one I will be happy with and not wish I had of gotten something else. I plan on riding dunes, trails and mudding. Sorry to keep bugging everyone and thanks for your patience and understanding. Oh, and I can buy the P700 locally for $1250 less that the Rincon. Very Tempting!

Old 09-22-2003, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

The praire has excellent brakes, the Rincon does not!
The Prairie belt drive is no problem to maintain. I have learned to adjust my belt myself and I'm not very mechanically inclined.
Haynes

Old 09-22-2003, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

Well, if you want a quad with power, you can forget the rincon!!!!!!! My buddy tried to load one in the back of his lifted F-250 4x4, and it didnt have the power to climb the ramps! It just sat there and strained until he got a running start.. His Polaris 700 makes it up there with ease with 28" Outlaws on it. Only thing the rinny has that is any good, is the suspension. Thats just my .02 cents..

Old 09-22-2003, 09:51 PM
Trailblazer

the pririe 650 is a awesome machine mine is for sale want sport quad

2003 red prairie 650 fun machine rides nice 250 miles still warrantied 6200 207-457-1615 ask for josh

Old 09-22-2003, 10:20 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Haynes1111
The praire has excellent brakes, the Rincon does not!
The Prairie belt drive is no problem to maintain. I have learned to adjust my belt myself and I'm not very mechanically inclined.
Haynes

um..the rincon stops just fine...what would you know about somthing you dont own..i have a rinny with 2500 miles no trouble at all...my buddy has a 03 rinny with 5000miles no trouble...i own a KFX700 vforce..i must say i love the power..i know the prarie sports the same power plant as the vforce..that 700 has smoother power then the rincon..but im also sure the Rincon well ride a 10 fold better then the prarie..as we own a rubicon with a swing arm like the prarie..the Rincon will also get way better fuel economy too...but the prarie has low range diff locker too..which is a major Plus..You have one hell of a tough choice in front of you..

Old 09-22-2003, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

I plan on riding dunes, trails and mudding

You can't have one machine that is best in all areas. You will have to sacrifice somewhere. It is up to you to decide what features are more important to how you ride. For many of us the Prairie covers all those areas the best. For others it is the Rincon, etc....

On the dunes you will probably like a sporty ride better.

On the fast trails, sporty ride.

On the bumpiest trails, softer suspension. It depends on how hard you ride though. I jockey my machine and shift my weight a lot. So, I don't feel the rough ride like @ss planted riders do.

In the mud, clearance is an advantage. However, the Rincon IRS has a tendency to settle under a decent load (depends on how heavy you are and your gear). That can be resolved by a preload on the springs though. Otherwise, mud riding has a lot to do with the rider and his abilities. The Rincon does look good jacked up.

The guy having problems loading his Rincon needs to have his jets tweaked and possibly the valves adjusted. This is known and can be resolved like most of the minor issues with each ATV.

Don't get hung up on the problem stories you read on the web. Focus on the features. You can get screwed on any machine if you get a bad build or have a horrbile dealer.

That's all I have to say about that....

Old 09-22-2003, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

I have heard alot of probs with the rincon trans. cost to repair is out of site and you wont like the way it bogs down at first in deep mud and it has a hard time powering out of mud. other than that the rincon is a good machine just isnt up to par in the large cc quads out there .02 650warn 2500epi black springnapa #7335K&N filterNYROC exhaust modand some new PRO GRIPS

Old 09-22-2003, 11:45 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: trailride
I have heard alot of probs with the rincon trans. cost to repair is out of site and you wont like the way it bogs down at first in deep mud and it has a hard time powering out of mud. other than that the rincon is a good machine just isnt up to par in the large cc quads out there .02 650warn 2500epi black springnapa #7335K&N filterNYROC exhaust modand some new PRO GRIPS

Hi.

3 of my friends have rincons.encluding my self..i have 2500 miles and never felt one problem in my tranny...my friend has 5000 miles..never had one problem..and we beat the crap outta these things..wide open everywhere..The rincons tranny does not have problems..that is a lie..one thing about the rincon is its needs to warm up before you ride it...and i have read in 100 places that praries belt system is not the best...although i did read that the 2004 prarie 700 had them troubles resolved..Just my 3
an

Old 09-22-2003, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

DOES THE RINCON AND THE RUBICON HAVE THE SAME TRANNY? I STOPPED SELLING THE HONDAS BEFORE THE RINCON CAME OUT . AND YES I HAVE SEEN SOME POSTS ABOUT THE RUBICON TRANNY HAVING PROBS BUT THAT WAS PROBABLY ISOLATED CASES JUST LIKE WHAT YOU SAID ABOUT THE AUTO TRANS ON OUR BIKES. THE HONDA DEALER REP TOLD ME THAT THE "RINCON" WAS GOING TO PUT THE SMACKDOWN ON THE PRAIRIE. WELL HONDA IS BETTER AT PUBLICITY THAN PERFORMANCE. BUT YOU GATTA SAY THIS HONDA IS THE MOST RELIABLE MACHINE OUT THERE.

Old 09-23-2003, 12:51 AM
Trailblazer

Hi Duramax,
Considering you have been riding the Raptor, go with the Prairie. Not only will you save money, you will have alot more power. You'll fall asleep at the wheel of a Rincon. The Rincon is one of the most comfortable machines out there, but there is a lack of punch when you hit the throttle. I've seen Sp500HO's smoke the Rincon on several occasions. It's your money...

Quick Reply: Still up in the air over a P700 vs. Rincon purchase