Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

400ex-mojave carb swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 10:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 400ex-mojave carb swap

Hey 'addict- how did ya get that air tube to work, snaking around the shock- I tried that with 2 1/2 inch PVC with 2 45* bends and that killed the top end. Ran fine everywhere else- but when ya tried to wind it up- fell flat on it's face. I don't mind the pod filter I have now- just a bit of a pian to get to when the time comes, y'know. Thanks, man............

Old 01-02-2004, 06:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey addict you said that ''you removed the choke from the 400ex carb for a little more flow ''. You don't need the choke to start your atv??

thanks

Old 01-03-2004, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider

Is there such a thing as a 'flexible' carburetor intake tube?

Old 01-05-2004, 05:57 PM
Trailblazer

Mohaveaddict,

I have a question. I'm doing the cams,valves,springs,piston, etc. to my Mohave. What air cleaner are you running? K&N with an Outerwears? What is the size? I'm presently running a 136 main jet. What jet did you run do after going to the clamp-on? I have a DG phase II pipe.
What filter would you recommend for a crankcase breather after removing the stock unit? Where would you mount it? Same place as your custom unit?
I posted this on your guestbook site also-disregard if you read this first.

Thanks-Steveo

Old 01-06-2004, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider

kwackermann, adding the tube around the shock and back to the filter increases the velocity of the air tremendously. This causes a need for a really big main jet, You ran out of fuel from being way to lean on the top. The long tube and high velocity is to improve the bottom and mid though. I have not done it on a stock carb, it is better on a large carb. the large carb will hurt your bottom and mid while helping on the top so the long air tube gets back the bottom and mid with a big carb. on the 400ex carb which is not really a big carb I have to drill out the main jet because the biggest one I can buy is not big enough. that is how much the velocity is increased. and when I get it right it is very responsive and has good power all the way up. Of course with that big main you have to play with the needle for the mid to be right. I plan to use the same air tube with a 38 mm lectron on my 330.

Mojavecan, no i don't need the choke to start it. I replace the pilot jet with a bigger one and with the accell pump in the carb I just blip the throttle a couple times before starting to get some gas in.

Steve55, I run uni foam filters. I used to run K&N but i beleive they are not the best in dusty conditions even with an outerwear. I run an outerwear over the foam filter too. Can't remember what size fits the stock carb but all you have to do is measure across the air horn of the carb and get a universal clamp on that is that size. I ran a 138 or 141 main when I used a stock carb with clamp on and supertrapp exhaust. For the crancase breather, get a k&n push in with a 5/8 inch tube. Then go to the auto parts store and get a 5/8 heater hose that is about 30 inches long with a 90 degree bend on one end. Make a little bracket to bolt the breather to the old air intake bracket up at the steering stem mount area. This is higher up and better than the one in the pics on my site. I have since changed mine to this style. The filter will be right next to the stem and the 90 degree end of the hose is cut off some to make the bend close to the breather and clamped to the breather. Run the hose under the left top frame rail with zip ties and down to the eng breather tube. Cut it to the right length and clamp it onto the eng breather pipe. I will try to post pics of this setup for you sometime. Thanks for signing my guest book.

Hope that covered the questions, good luck to all and keep those mojaves screaming. By the way, there are some new pics at the end of the super mo project with the rear axle and suspension on.

Old 01-27-2004, 09:56 AM
Pro Rider

Hey 'addict, I understand that you ran a tube around your shock so as to gain a bit more low end lost due to the 400ex carb- what size tube did you use, and how ling? I did this once with 2.5" PVC 45* joints with little success. Would you plese explain how you managed to make this work- would be nice to have easy access to the air filter between rounds. Oh yeah- I got my hands on a 400ex carb off ebay, and some other fella was selling a motion pro trist throttle setup that he too off his 400ex, I'm stoked, man! Next step are the .380 cams and 1mm oversize stainless valves. Thanks for the info.........

Old 01-27-2004, 03:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi kwackerman

try this to get around the rear shock: use the orignal airbox at the carburator side, if the intake diameter is to small make it bigger and set an round plastic adapter for a bigger tube, i make my own on a lathe and secure it with little screws (M3) and seal it with silikon, at the snorkelside block it and then drill a second hole at the rear side for an adapter for K+N Filter or what ever.
I make this at the carburator side for 70mm tube to get it around for a vilocity stack of a FCR 35 Keihin and it works but at the intake side i use the original air filter to look like original for the laws here in Germany, but internal i modified the air box to get larger intake diameter

Tommy

Old 02-03-2004, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

OK- just got my hands on a 400ex carb- the end that goes into the intake tube is a wee bit larger than the stock carb, I'm gonna try to press it in in warmer weather-- it's 20 degrees here now. Someone mentioned a large jet kit so as to get the jetting right- who do I contact for this kit. where can I get it?

Old 02-05-2004, 10:15 PM
Trailblazer

Kwackerman,

I just rebuilt my Mohave top end with 380 cams, hardened rockers, HD valve springs, wiseco piston and oversized stainless valves. I also took off the stock airbox and went to a clamp-on filter and a KLR CDI. I'll let you know how it runs.

You should be able to buy a dynojet kit with an assortment of jets or just a jet kit with a bunch for $50.00+/-

Old 02-06-2004, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

Thats so righteous- I can't wait to hear about it.....

Quick Reply: 400ex-mojave carb swap