Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Mojave probs. and questions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 03:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mojave probs. and questions?

Hi All,
New to this... (like noone could tell)
Few problems just picked up A 91'ksf250 Mojave, so far I love it, nice and short for throwing it around in the woods decent power for A smaller 4 stroke.
I have A shifting problem though, I read through some other post with close to the same questions, I would just like some specifics, upshifts seem fine and smooth, if I stay in the lower gears I dont seem to have as much problems, but when I get into 4th and 5th and try to downshift, it doesnt want to, no cracking grinding or banging, just nothing happens, stays in that gear and wont come out, untill almost A complete stop and sometimes have to rock it back and forth and play with it untill it shifts, just for example.... when youre in first and try to go into reverse with out turning the ****, how it just clicks and wont engage reverse.... this is almost what it acts like when you try downshifting out of 4th and 5th gear.
I had some ?????'s on mods and performance also...I could use new sprockets and chain and I thought about wanting A little more top end, but I want to stay with the 22x11 rear tires and still have the torque and gearing for those tight and fast trails. What is A good all around gearing set up?
I also want to throw A pipe on it, whats A good power pipe and jet set, or has anyone used this Dial-A-jet I have read about?
I thought of dumping the stock air box (all 50 feet of it) and putting A cone filter on it and A small clamp on filter for the breather, but I am worried about water and such things like that, and how much jetting I would need to comp. for the pipe and filter?
Thanks in advance, and I am sorry for being so long winded... any criticism is welcome...... and expected LOL

Old 09-30-2003, 10:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

You bought a fun quad! You need to repair some external shift parts
shift cam,shift pawl,stopper lever, stomping through the gears DESTROYS these hard parts in a few hours .If you pull it apart you will need a clutch cover gasket and a water pump gasket theres also an "O" ring on the water pump shaft.
Mine went in one rough afternoon. Scrap the air box I've got a 2.5" clamp-on,supertrapp pipe,140 main jet
starts in 2 kicks runs great.

Rob

Old 10-01-2003, 02:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks
Is this alot of work to replace these peices?
What kind of prices am I looking at, and will this happen over and over?
Since I would have to pull the clutch cover off, would it make sense to check and possibly replace the clutch pack.... what would be A good set of fibers, plates, and springs?
Is there any pipes to look for or stay away from? Is A slip on the best, or A whole system, most I have seen the head pipe doesnt look much different than stock, I would rather A black or dark pipe and muffler, you cant see chrome or aluminum under dust and mud anyway.
As far as jet kits and such, how much does different pipes and filter setups change what jetting is needed?
Anyone heard or used this Dial-A-Jet setup?
Is the 13T front sprocket and stock rear sprocket and 22x11 tires A good all around upgrade, and how many link chain (new) for that?
Keep the replys and oppinions coming!!!!!!
Mike

Old 10-01-2003, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider

You probably only need to modify your shift pawl to fix your shift problem. Kawi made the notches in it too shallow and then later sent out a tech bulletin on grinding them deeper. they never made a change in production so even a new one needs modding. Post your email and I will send your a pic showing just what to do.

Old 10-01-2003, 09:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

staxs007@yahoo.com
I appreciate the help!
Does anyone have anymore oppinions on mods and performance or known problems to look for or expect?

Old 10-02-2003, 11:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks alot mojaveaddict!!!!!!!
The pic. is perfect, I think it would have been rough to "describe" in words what to do, but the pic and description is great!!!!! I'll pull it apart this weekend and see what I need to do.
Any other tips and tricks you or anyone can fill me in on, performance and or reliabilty issues?
I am going to order A pipe, jets, filters, and maybe the 13T front sprocket ( or would it be better to go with A smaller rear instead of the larger front?) as soon as the shifting prob. is taken care of, I just dont know what brands to look for, as far as the jet kit and exhaust, theres more available than I thought there would be.
Is there A kit or A way available to remove the choke from the handle bars and go with one mounted on the carb. ? Or I have seen postings about the 400 carb being used, whats involved in that?
I want to clean up the bars and looked at twist throttle and want to remove the light and **** for the reverse, but dont want to have to worry about down shifting into reverse, but I still want reverse available, even if its alittle harder to engage.......... I know........ I want everything LOL

Old 10-06-2003, 10:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Did the Shift Pawl mod. this weekend, it was the ticket and it wasnt to bad to do, mine showed next to no wear and everything was intact, THANKS again Mojaveaddict!!!!!!!!

Old 10-06-2003, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider

Great news! Glad I was able to help, how does it shift now?

As for some of your other questions, I think the Supertrapp exhaust is the best. If you plan on major mods then get the race ids2 or race 4" series. Do not get a quiet core ids2 unless you know you will do no more than a pipe and jetting.

A 13 frt will work well and is much cheaper than a smaller rear. If you ever go with major mods or 18" rear tires you will need to gear up more.

Check the other posts about the 400ex carb, I left the info you need on a recent post to some thread on here.

Old 10-06-2003, 11:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

It shifts just like I thought it should have when I got it, all shifts now feel positive and smooth, nuetral is easy to find, and overall its almost like A total different quad, I bought it shifting like it did, but when I rode it before I bought it I couldnt get out of 2nd in the guys back yard, so it wasnt as noticable untill my first ride with my freinds, the only thing I noticed is I come across the rev-limitor noticably now, but thats probobly because of not being bogged down in too high of A gear and not being able to get out of it.
I want to "bump" it up alittle I am A bigger guy 250 and 6' and it could use alittle more pep but I love the feel of it being short and sorta narrow for the riding I like, tight trails and fast, hard turns, I love being able to just manhandle it into doing what I want it to LOL
I dont think I am going with any major engine mods or big time suspension other than better shocks and bushings, just pipe, needs some more sound, and get rid of the stock airbox, make it breath in as well as out, I would rather spend more time cleaning the filter than deal with all that plastic crap stuffed everywhere, and the 13T front sounds like A good plan, so I can stay in the lower gears alittle longer, and maybe get alittle more top end speed.
I am really surprised at how this little 4 stroke revs, how far does anyone think A stock motor can rev without damage? I been reading over posts on the KLR250 CDI mod, sounds simple enough if you can find one but is it safe on A basicly stock motor and will you gain anything from it other than revs?
Thanks for all of everyones help, and thanks Mojaveaddict for the great pic and mod!

Old 10-06-2003, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

the KLR cdi will not help much on a stock motor. it has alittle better spark curve but works way better with a good set of cams.

Quick Reply: Mojave probs. and questions?