Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

So really, whats the deal with twist throttles on ATV's ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2003, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So really, whats the deal with twist throttles on ATV's ???

anyone....?

Old 10-04-2003, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I run twist throttles on every atv I've owned. I know how to ride a Motorcycle alot better then I do a jet ski. Not that I totally recommend them though. In the dunes I love it, but in the dirt I've gotten myself in trouble. At times, while going all out, and getting real crazy, I've found myself in trouble because I was holding on so hard that I was unable to get "off the gas". It's easier letting go of a thumb throttle and at times, not so easy getting off the gas while holding on for dear life. I'm not sure if this makes any sence but think about what I'm saying. It's really about personnel preferance, Putt

Old 10-05-2003, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first change I make on my quads is swapping to a twist throttle. Even my 82'atc250r death machine has a twist.

I firmly believe that thumb throttles are made so that your g/f can ride over to the bathrooms.

Old 10-05-2003, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider

No i know exactly what ur talking about... thats what i was afriad of.. When ur going to quick and ur jerking ur arms everywhere its gonna be hard to get the gas off.... so i guess im gonna stick with the thumb throttle.

Old 10-07-2003, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider

OK... my wife hates the thumb throttle on our 300 Prairie ( even with the thumb extender, her hand gets tired )... & I've got a race coming up & my ( soon to be 750 ) is still apart ( I had just installed the twist throttle on it )... I'm putting a twist throttle on our 300 to use for training, while my 750 is down... my team mate just installed a twist throttle on his '03 - 650, as well ... we'll get the chance Friday afternoon to take them to the bluff trails that we train on... to evaluate how they work on the knarly stuff... too much flat ground around my place, to get anything from practicing... WAM

Old 10-07-2003, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider

I really wanted to use one. However I ride some pretty rough stuff, sometimes so far off camber that I wouldnt be able to hold on and use a twist at the same time. The only problem I have with thumb throttle is when I turn all the way to the right and my tank bag is loaded, I sometimes get a suprise burst of power.....

Old 10-07-2003, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider

The twist is the clear choice for racing, duning, etc. I tried a P400 with a twist throttle on some rough, technical trails and found it difficult to modulate even after I was used to it.

Old 10-07-2003, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider

though I don't know for sure, If it is so difficult, why don't trials, supercross, & hare scramble bike riders switch to the thumb throttle... still seems like you would just have to get used to it...

Old 10-08-2003, 09:12 AM
Pro Rider

when installing the twist on my team mates 650... we notched the handle bar shroud, ground off the tab, & were able to slide the thumb throttle body, with the 2 X 4 / 4 X 4 switch in it, up high enough on the bar, to install the twist throttle... WAM

Old 10-09-2003, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider

Hate thumb throttle and need operation once again this winter on my thumb. It hurts alot and now every morning is it locked up then snaps back into place. Had operation last fall . Was thinking of twist but figure it would be hard to hold onto bar and get off throttle. It stinks getting old .But like they say no pain no gain

Quick Reply: So really, whats the deal with twist throttles on ATV's ???