Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

So really, whats the deal with twist throttles on ATV's ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So really, whats the deal with twist throttles on ATV's ???

OK, I've heard some of the reasons people don't think that twist throttles belong on an ATV, but I had a roll over attributed to a thumb throttle ( actually the extender )... but anyway, I installed a motion pro twist on my 650 ...very easy to do... I think it will help with the hare scramble races I race... with the little bit of flat ground riding I've done, I like it so far... I think it will be a big help in my up coming 12 hours race ( as thumb fatigue is always a problem before the end of the race )... in my defense, the photos of Mike Pendland's 700 on "nation" show his quad to be equiped with a twist throttle... I haven't had the chance to ride the "bluff" trails, that I train on, since the install... I don't anticipate any problems, but as I'll only have 2 weeks to get used to it, after the 750 kit is installed, I'd like to hear any comments from riders that have ridden in extreme conditions with the twist ??? WAM

Old 10-02-2003, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry I can't help with the info you want but could you please share part numbers and so on for the unit you're using on your Prairie? Tried to get one from Motion Pro a year or so ago but they didn't have something that would work at that time. Did you get it from MP or another vendor? Thanks!

Old 10-02-2003, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider

I ordered the one from Motion Pro... for the 400 Prairie... it goes right on... the problem is the 2 X 4 / 4 X 4 switch that is part of the thumb throttle... to solve this, I cut a rectangle out of the plastic handle bar shroud the size of the switch ( the thumb switch itself, not the size of the switch body )( I did this in the bend, so there is room between the bar & the shroud... 2 screws secure it in place... works great

Old 10-02-2003, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

i cant use a twist throttle because it doesnt feel right to me. Although i wish i could, because my thumb get tired quite often.

Old 10-03-2003, 08:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

I used it on my warrior and I like a lot. Drove all over. I just got the kfx700 and I'm noticing the thumb fatigue where I wasn't tired before. I am going to switch to a twist on the 700 when I can.

Joe

Old 10-03-2003, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

I want a thumb throttle REAL BAD.. do u think it will be good in trails and dunes?

Old 10-03-2003, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

Newbeatle, Thanks a million for the info. Parts should be here by Wed. or Thurs. Whoever came up with the idea of a thumb throttle on quads and jet skis I'm willing to bet was an orthopedic surgeon. Thanks again.

Old 10-04-2003, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider

DIESCARRED... IMO, it's what you get used to... I'm hoping to get my 750 kit in, in time to spend a day in the rough bluff trails that I train in, before the 12 hours race... I live in flat land area, & want a few miles of deep hills, jumps, & rocks with that twist throttle, before racing with it... anyone else done extreme rough riding with a twist, to let me know what to look out for ????

Old 10-04-2003, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider

sry i meany twist throttle... OOPSY lol

Old 10-04-2003, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider

Anyone have experience in the dunes and trails with a twist ( not on a two wheeler) can i get some info on how u liked it?

Quick Reply: So really, whats the deal with twist throttles on ATV's ???