Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

klf 220 engine Knock?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2000, 03:33 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It makes the knocking (or maybe that's a strong word) at low rpm or up to just past idle. Motor seems to run strong and I ride it ***** out(it's not very big) to keep up with friends, Don't know any history of the quad. It's 1990. The thing is a little wheelie prone but other than that it performs quite well in rough trails etc. Surprisingly agile but is a little reluctant to turn sharp.Tends to want to push unless I get the inside tire up. Any ideas or techniques?

Old 01-23-2000, 06:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the Bayou review (available from the ATV Connection home page), a Kawasaki official tells of modifying the ignition "map" of the later model Bayous, eliminating an annoying, yet harmless, characteristic Kawasaki "klunk," perhaps the "knocking" you hear in the smaller machine. If so, we're talking about a characteristic Kawasaki signature sound only.

Unless you hear persistent pinging under full load, while burning premium gas, as Boner might say, "Don't worry! Be happy!"

Tree Farmer

Old 01-23-2000, 12:36 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks treefarmer. Guess if it ain't broke.

Old 01-23-2000, 08:47 PM
Range Rover

MUDSKIPPER, My Bayou has had a low end "knock" ever since I bought it new. I called the Factory (The local Service Department at the Dealership was clueless about repairing anything unless you needed a spark plug changed) and they told me it was the clutch pack set up that caused that noise. It is much louder when the engine is cold. once mine warms up, you can hardly hear it. I have run it hard and long and have had no type of failure with it. The Bayou is one tough machine.

Old 01-23-2000, 09:14 PM
Trailblazer

thanks for the reply. sounds alot the same.
Any ideas on the turning . It seems to have an awfully wide radius. Also maybe you managed to pull a little more power? It seems to have plenty of grunt in 1st and maybe could take a little taller tire?(for ground clearance)

Old 01-25-2000, 09:20 AM
Range Rover

oh yea.. on the turning.. I fixed that too... if you look at your Bayou streight on.. you see the Camber is way off... ie the wheels are in the shape of a "V". I am not 300+lbs so my weight doesn't bring the wheels to the "H" pattern when driving. when you are making turns, the wheel is curved inwards, causing it to slip, making wider turns...

What I did was to cut the upper shock mount with a hack saw, welded some band iron on both sides with a large washer cut inhalf at the end.. causing a elongated slot for the mount.. Wa la! height/camber adjustment! I got a floor jack, to work it up and down, made a level to fit the rim, and adjusted the camber. It handles ALOT better and turns on a dime. I lost maybe 1/2 clearance.. well worth the outcome.

For more Bayou 220 modifications I have done, just ask..I love to "fix" engineering flaws and make my Quads work the way I think they should.

Brian in NC
Bayou 220 and Rancher ES 4x4
Happy Quading!

Old 01-25-2000, 09:55 AM
Trailblazer

We were looking at the camber ourselves. It makes sense. Okay Brian.........what else? More ideas. Any pics? Thanks