Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

need help fast (p650 blowing smoke)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 09:07 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help fast (p650 blowing smoke)

i went for a road ride today. after i got back home and unloaded my wheeler, i started it up and white smoke was just pouring out the exhaust pipe like you wouldnt believe. i mean it was smoking so bad my neighbors were just staring at me like what the???? so i let it run for a few minutes and it quit smoking until i hopped on it and popped a wheelie. after that it started smoking REALLY bad again. it was smoking like a 2 stroke. i kid you not. so i shut it off and checked the oil,radiator, and for anything leaking and nothing. so i took it outside of town on the hard road and opened her up and it ran like a dream. i popped a few more wheelies outside of town and stopped to see if it was smoking again and nothing!! the fan seemed to come on an awful lot today too. so far it hasnt smoked again but i only got to ride it for about another 10 min before it got dark on me. all i know is its got me worried to death what in the he!! i did to it. i didnt ride it any harder today than what i usually do. anybody know why it would smoke out of the exhaust so bad???

Old 10-12-2003, 09:10 PM
Range Rover

Howdy,
I have had the smoke problem before. I think you are really high up on your oil level and the wheelies are getting oil up in the cylinders in a copius quantity. I bet that if you lowered your oil level your problem will go away. Check & see if you have oil in your air box. If so then that is the problem. Have a goodun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-12-2003, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

could be the choke (fuel enrichner) sticking. This will over fill the crankcase with gas . check the oil to see if it smells like gas or is now thinner then it should be.

Old 10-12-2003, 09:36 PM
Range Rover

thanks for the replies guys. it didnt smoke before i loaded it, and when i unload it i never drive it out of the back of my truck because i have a dodge 1500 sport and it sits too damn high for that so i just set the ramps and grab the back rack and pull. but like i said, i didnt do anything out of the ordinary.

Old 10-12-2003, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

typical reaction to oil level being to high. there is a hose from the crankcase to the air cleaner. If the level is too high ... then high speed or wheelies will put oil directly into the air cleaner.

typical reason for the oil level being to high is gas delution. Mine did that until I changed the choke springs .. problem solved.

Old 10-12-2003, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

Absolute no-brainer: it didn't smoke when he put it on the truck, smokes when he got home and unloaded it. You've got a load of gas in the oil and the crankcase is now overfilled. Change the oil immediately, change over to new style choke springs if it hasn't been done already and always shut the fuel valve off when you haul the machine on the truck or trailer.

Old 10-13-2003, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

Here's one you haven't heard. If you back up a really steep hill with the override on and you are working it, mine will squirt oil out from under the handlebars and the oil will land right on the front cylinder and put up a smoke show. But if you just idle up the hill it will not squirt any.

Old 10-13-2003, 03:24 AM
Range Rover

i have a moron question. is it mandatory to change the oil filter when you change the oil? i want to change the oil to see if thats the problem but i have to drive over 50 miles to get a filter for it and i wont have time to get one until at least the weekend. didnt know if it would hurt it to change the oil once w/o changing the filter too or not

Old 10-13-2003, 04:12 AM
Pro Rider

If the oil looked normal then with just 50 miles I wouldnt change the filter. If you are in doubt about the condition of the oil then definitely change the filter also. All you need is two quarts of oil. I use two quarts and a new filter and my oil level is just below the full mark.

Old 10-13-2003, 07:49 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: rammy
i have a moron question. is it mandatory to change the oil filter when you change the oil? i want to change the oil to see if thats the problem but i have to drive over 50 miles to get a filter for it and i wont have time to get one until at least the weekend. didnt know if it would hurt it to change the oil once w/o changing the filter too or not
it is not mandatory ...... the filter is there to trap dirt. You are not changing the oil because it is dirty. If the oil has a lot gasoline in it ... I would take the filter off and drain it. PS .... you do know that you don't have to us a Kawasaki filter don't you ? check out Nyrocs web site a list of filters that fit this machine