Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Ratcheting Shift Lever

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 10:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ratcheting Shift Lever

originally my P650 would only shift ranges if I idled up the motor or slightly revved it up to change ranges. I thought this to be normal until I purchased my new P700 I can change select any range without having to rev it up at all. A minor adjustment took care of most of the difficultys of the ratcheting but as time went on parts became worn and things became worse. I had roughly 500 hours before the trany started to have a ratcheting effect when I would give her the gas it would pop out of gear and make a ratcheting sound. Again I adjusted the shift linkage with a fellow forum members help it worked for a short time and then it would start to ratchet in both ranges instead of just one.

Cause:
In some cases the factory has installed a compression washer in backwards on the shift rod in the trany. When undo stress is put on the shift mechanism it will pop out start to bounce can't relocate itself into its proper position as the splined washer that holds the shaft in place has split into a number of pieces.

Remedy:
You're not going to like this. The motor has to be pulled out to get into the washer and gear assembly. If you are lucky only the washer will have to be replaced. In my case the broken washer pieces took out most of the gears resulting in a $1,500 bill in pieces alone not including labour. If you have extended warranty and your shifter is ratcheting under load where it pops out of gear take it to your dealer tell him it may be the washer in the trany making all the fuss. Hopefully it will be a minor fix or it will be a major one later on down the road.

Old 10-20-2003, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

Well just when you think its something serious, only $1500 well there goes the chrome goodies for the motorcycle.
looks like a job for my spare time.

Old 10-20-2003, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

Roscoe69,
I was wondering if this post would catch your eye!!!!!! Who needs chrome anyway LOL!!!

Old 10-21-2003, 09:36 AM
Pro Rider

HEY ALLTOYS
yep caught my eye first thing. We had been toying about the idea of getting out quading soon but it is still raining down here. I dont think i will get into the remove the motor trick untill spring, if ever. i found it would be nice to have low range but the kawi works just fine in the muskeg and over downfall trees in high range.